"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Chicken and salmonella

I watch the Food Network almost daily and everyone seems to really be scared of chicken. What I mean is everytime someone touches chicken they run to the sink to wash their hands.

When I was a small child, back in the 50's, my grandmother would fry chicken, place a dish towel over the plate and it would set in the kitchen all day.

Is the fear justified or are folks just being to careful...

Thanks

Old 03-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
My mother in law is like that ... she bleaches the intire kitchen everytime she cooks one. Me... I rince the chicken and then cut it up... then ( for shame!!!) I use the same cutting board to cut the veggies... Then I throw them all in the same pot or pan and cook them. I've never gotten sick and nobody I know has ever gotten sick from raw chicken juice touching them or their things. BUT.... I guess a few people have.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm in the same unsanitary camp as pdswife. Apparently the Germ Police have overlooked us. Been that way all my life and nobody's died yet.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
It's the raw chicken that causes the most "fear" in people. Food poisoning and samonilla (sp?) are big concerns on raw or undercooked chicken. Once it's cooked, all the "icky" is killed via cooking (assuming it is completely cooked). Then you're all good.

Truth be told, chickens are filthy creatures, and often eat unedible things such as their own feces. I've tried to start reducing my chicken intake, but so many things are made with chicken that I like. Don't know if I'll ever remove chicken from my diet, but if I have a choice of meat, chicken won't be first pick.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

Chicken is really no more dangerous than is beef, pork, venison, or whatever. The problem is that because the chicken is mechanically sepaerated (cleaned) the intestinal tract is often opened up, spilling feces on the meat. Salmonella, E-coli, and such contaminates the muscle tissue. This can be washed off with chemical rinses that are germicidal, and with water.

It is best to wash your hands after touching any meat as all of them can suffer contamination due to poor processing. If the intestinal tract of a cow is ruptured, you get the same dangerous bacteria as you would from poultry. But cattle aren't usually "mechanically seperated", and care is taken to keep the intestinal tract intact.

And as for washing the cutting board, if you are cooking the veggies that have been cut on it, there is no danger, al long as the food temp. reaches 150 and above. If you are gouing to make a salad of raw veggies, or are making a stir-fry where the veggies are minimally cooked, use a different cutting board.

And watch for postings by Michael, AllenMI, and a host of others who have been cooking forever, like me. There are a bunch of very knowledgeable people on this site.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

The fear is not unfounded. Chances of getting sick are not high, BUT if you do get sick then you get VERY sick. It simply is not worth the risk. Thankfully I have never gotten sick from chicken, but I have heard stories, awful stories!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
Everymom

Hear hear GB. Salmonella is nothing to mess with. As to why neither mudbug or pdswife's families have been sick I suspect its because the veggies got cooked too. If you were going to keep the veggies raw I don't think you would use the same board would you? Blech.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
no... I wouldn't use the same board if I was going to keep them raw... not so much because I'm afraid of getting sick but because.. the raw veggies would have chicken slime on them and that lol...would be gross!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #9
Master Chef

I don't use the same knife or cutting board or anything that I use the raw chicken with anything else. That's just what I was taught and it's just stuck with me. I do wash my hands vigorously after touching the raw chicken and I will clean the counters right after. I also will wash everything that was used with the raw chicken in the sink before anything else goes in with it. I'm paranoid, yes, but, that's just what I've always done.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

The risks are substantially higher with mass produced chickens. The chickens our grandmothers were cooking were much less likely to be contaminated.