"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chicken balls

I want to make restaurant style chicken balls for sweet and sour but my balls are not turning out consistent and round. Any suggestions?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Master Chef

I have a recipe that duplicates the chicken balls from a local Chines Buffet establishment. Here it is from my cookbook, "You Can Be A Great Cook with Poultry. (I figure, I wrote the book, and self publish it, so I can post parts of it):

Asian Chicken Meatballs
There’s this great restaurant just down the road a bit from my home. They serve some fine food at this place. One of my wife’s favorite dishes served at this establishment is chicken meatballs. They are good. I’ve had them.
Well, to make a long story short, I had to try to make something similar at home. The results of my efforts (and this is according to my wife, folks) are chicken meat balls of superior quality to the ones found at the restaurant. These are especially good with pineapple sweet & sour sauce.
Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast
2 large chicken thighs
3 stalks celery
 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. onion powder
1 medium egg, lightly beaten

Skin and remove the chicken from the bones and either mince in food-processor, or run through a meat grinder. Mince the garlic and add with the onion powder to the meat. Finely chop the celery and add it to the chicken with the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
The trick to these meatballs is egg. Lacking sufficient fat to hold them together, the protein rich egg white coats each morsel of meat, acting like the fat in a hamburger. It binds them.
Shape into 1 inch meatballs and gently set them into a deep frying pan. Add 1/2 cup of water and cover. Gently steam the meatballs until they are firm. Remove the pan lid and allow the water to evaporate, or pour it off. Add two tbs. peanut oil and sauté until lightly browned on all sides. Serve with Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce, white rice and butter, and with steamed carrots. Arrange artistically on dark plates and serve.
Makes approximately 24 meatballs.

If you want the pineapple sweet & sour sauce, let me know.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Half Baked

I want the S&S sauce recipe!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Master Chef

GW......I for one, would love to have the sauce recipe also. Sounds delicious, and somewhat easy to do.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

thanks, will try tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce, from the same cookbook.

Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce
This syrup based sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. It compliments egg rolls, chicken stir fries, won tons, etc. It can also be used with ham and pastas.
Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth (water can be used if no broth is available)
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 tbs. onion powder or 1/4 onion finely chopped
2 cloves crushed garlic
16 oz. can crushed or chunk pineapple (substitute  cup lemon juice if used for seafood)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (substitute 1/2 cup white granulated sugar if lemon juice is used)
1/8 cup balsamic, or apple cider vinegar
1/4 chopped sweet pepper (optional but omit if lemon juice is used)
2 tbs. cornstarch mixed with 4 oz. water
Combine ingredients in order. After adding brown sugar, taste. Sauce should be fairly sweet with the ginger and chicken flavors tickling, not stomping the taste buds. Add vinegar and taste again. Add more brown sugar or vinegar as needed. But be careful. It is much easier to add just a bit more of something than it’s to try to remove it, or compensate for a too strong flavor.
Mix the cornstarch and water together, and pour into the gently boiling sauce. Stir rapidly to distribute until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and cover.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
Flour Child

wow...thanks, goodweed! The chicken balls and sauce sound incredibly delicious...must be a fantastic cookbook!

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am sooo making this!!! Thanks!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Head Chef

Its on my list for the week, grand kids would love these. thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Copied, pasted, credited and saved to my recipe files! I might try these when my Mom is visting in October.