"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chicken Batter

Friend told me a simple recipe to make chicken batter, but now how to do it. It uses whipped eggs, seasoned flower mix, and breadcrumbs. Do I dip the chicken in the egg then the crumbs then the flower then the crumbs again? Or dip the chicken in the egg then the flour then the crumbs then the flour again. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCJ View Post
Friend told me a simple recipe to make chicken batter, but now how to do it. It uses whipped eggs, seasoned flower mix, and breadcrumbs. Do I dip the chicken in the egg then the crumbs then the flower then the crumbs again? Or dip the chicken in the egg then the flour then the crumbs then the flour again. Thanks for any help.
Too bad your friend disappeared, but if it was me I would go; flour (flower), egg, then breadcrumbs. Because it's a batter (thicker usually) I would then do the egg and crumbs again. That should give you a nice thick batter on your chicken.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Also, it's a good idea to let the battered chicken rest a little whileto allow the egg/ crumb coating to dry and firm up a little before you put the pieces in a frying pan. Use enough oil to come up about a third of the way of the chix parts. Allow oil to get medium hot. Don't crowd the chicken, cook in batches if necessary and only turn the chicken over once. You can cover or partially cover the chicken after you turn it and then uncover again near the end to allow it to get crispy.

You can also season the flour with S/P, garlic or onion powder, crumbled dry herbs, some people put in chili powder, whatever you like,
Old 02-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Master Chef

Batter for anything is made up of wet and dry ingredients in a bowl. The chicken should be floured and then dipped in the batter, usually for deep frying. I think you are talking about "breading" chicken. The rule for breading is always "dry, wet, dry". In this case flour comes first, then egg, then crumbs. Pac is right, you can do it again without the flour the second time if you want, but it will be breaded chicken, not battered.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Good point, Kay. It should be wet.
Cheg Mahoney had a good batter recipe I made one time with whipped egg.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Head Chef

Love to try different coatings as an alternative to the breadcrumbs
Also i have coated chix with sourcream and then topping which works well.
just add the sour cream heaping spoonful at a time to the chicken in a bowl stir till all is coated good. add more if needed.
Coatings I have tried, Smashed up, sourcream potato chips, cheezits, doritos, barbq chips. I have done cornflake crumbs using the flour /egg cornflakes, then drizzle melted butter oven and bake.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Master Chef

All good ideas LC.

For that light extra crunch factor I personally like Panko bread crumbs on breaded chicken.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken