Chicken Breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maximus1986

Assistant Cook
I went to a pub a few days ago and surf and turf, it came with chicken fillets, they were moist and tender and properly cooked. They must have cooked them quickly because it was the special for the night and alot of people ordered the same. I struggle to cook such a simple thing well.

I think one of the secrets is briefly brining the chicken. My chicken breasts used to be somewhat tough when I grilled them, after brining, you can cook the heck out of them, they remain moist and tender.

I have noticed a lot of the top chefs caramelise the chicken breast in a pan quickly and then put it in the oven, it makes it so tender and moist :)

I would love to try brining, but dinner is usually a snap decision for me so I don't have time to brine. I always liked chicken legs and thighs because they are a moister meat.

When I grill chicken breasts, I pound them so that the breast is all the same thickness. When I put them on the grill I make sure that the grill is good and hot and grill them with the top of the grill open and only about three or four minutes each side. Take them off at about 150 degrees and wrap in tin foil. Let sit for at least 10 minutes and they will warm up to the proper 165 degrees. This works even when the breasts are not brined first.

When I grill chicken breasts, I pound them so that the breast is all the same thickness. When I put them on the grill I make sure that the grill is good and hot and grill them with the top of the grill open and only about three or four minutes each side. Take them off at about 150 degrees and wrap in tin foil. Let sit for at least 10 minutes and they will warm up to the proper 165 degrees. This works even when the breasts are not brined first.

Sounds like another trick I will try! Thanks!

Sounds like another trick I will try! Thanks!

You are most welcome. My husband was over cooking chicken breasts, and he was trying to get them to 165 degrees on the grill, as soon as I started having him take them off at 150 degrees, they were moist and tasty. He now grills chicken breasts really well. It's amazing what a little tin foil and 10 minutes can do.

You are most welcome. My husband was over cooking chicken breasts, and he was trying to get them to 165 degrees on the grill, as soon as I started having him take them off at 150 degrees, they were moist and tasty. He now grills chicken breasts really well. It's amazing what a little tin foil and 10 minutes can do.

My husband likes all his meat very well done, too well done for my liking. If it doesn't look burnt on the outside he thinks it's not done. I always put his meat on the grill first. This would work for him, as long as I get some good grill marks on it to start out.

My husband likes all his meat very well done, too well done for my liking. If it doesn't look burnt on the outside he thinks it's not done. I always put his meat on the grill first. This would work for him, as long as I get some good grill marks on it to start out.

Your first side down should have really good grill marks. I forgot to tell you to rub the breasts with olive oil. That helps with the presentation. Hubby will like that! ;)

For grilling chicken breast, I agree with Chopper, pounding them out has made a huge difference! If I'm cooking chicken breast indoors, finishing them off in the oven has worked wonders as well.

I see that maximus is in Britain. So who knows, maybe having the same issue I was?

I was dutifully buying free range chicken breasts and chickens (at great expense) until I realised that at least half the time they were coming out really tough and chewy. Which makes sense when you think they are getting a lot more exercise than non free-range chickens. I tried all manner of cooking techniques including using foil and poaching. It just didn't make any difference.

So now, I buy corn fed, quality assured chicken with the "Red Tractor" logo (which assures that the care given to the chickens is to at least a certain standard). Not as good (ethically) as free range, but the chicken is a lot more tender!

I don't feel good about it, but I can't justify paying a small fortune for chicken that is horribly tough.

Anyway, just a thought.

(I still only buy free-range eggs.)

Back
Top Bottom