"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chicken Breast

I went to a pub a few days ago and surf and turf, it came with chicken fillets, they were moist and tender and properly cooked. They must have cooked them quickly because it was the special for the night and alot of people ordered the same. I struggle to cook such a simple thing well.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think one of the secrets is briefly brining the chicken. My chicken breasts used to be somewhat tough when I grilled them, after brining, you can cook the heck out of them, they remain moist and tender.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I have noticed a lot of the top chefs caramelise the chicken breast in a pan quickly and then put it in the oven, it makes it so tender and moist
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I would love to try brining, but dinner is usually a snap decision for me so I don't have time to brine. I always liked chicken legs and thighs because they are a moister meat.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Executive Chef

When I grill chicken breasts, I pound them so that the breast is all the same thickness. When I put them on the grill I make sure that the grill is good and hot and grill them with the top of the grill open and only about three or four minutes each side. Take them off at about 150 degrees and wrap in tin foil. Let sit for at least 10 minutes and they will warm up to the proper 165 degrees. This works even when the breasts are not brined first.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
When I grill chicken breasts, I pound them so that the breast is all the same thickness. When I put them on the grill I make sure that the grill is good and hot and grill them with the top of the grill open and only about three or four minutes each side. Take them off at about 150 degrees and wrap in tin foil. Let sit for at least 10 minutes and they will warm up to the proper 165 degrees. This works even when the breasts are not brined first.

Sounds like another trick I will try! Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Sounds like another trick I will try! Thanks!
You are most welcome. My husband was over cooking chicken breasts, and he was trying to get them to 165 degrees on the grill, as soon as I started having him take them off at 150 degrees, they were moist and tasty. He now grills chicken breasts really well. It's amazing what a little tin foil and 10 minutes can do.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
You are most welcome. My husband was over cooking chicken breasts, and he was trying to get them to 165 degrees on the grill, as soon as I started having him take them off at 150 degrees, they were moist and tasty. He now grills chicken breasts really well. It's amazing what a little tin foil and 10 minutes can do.

My husband likes all his meat very well done, too well done for my liking. If it doesn't look burnt on the outside he thinks it's not done. I always put his meat on the grill first. This would work for him, as long as I get some good grill marks on it to start out.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My husband likes all his meat very well done, too well done for my liking. If it doesn't look burnt on the outside he thinks it's not done. I always put his meat on the grill first. This would work for him, as long as I get some good grill marks on it to start out.
Your first side down should have really good grill marks. I forgot to tell you to rub the breasts with olive oil. That helps with the presentation. Hubby will like that!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

For grilling chicken breast, I agree with Chopper, pounding them out has made a huge difference! If I'm cooking chicken breast indoors, finishing them off in the oven has worked wonders as well.

Tags
chicken