"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I bet one of ingredients simply was not good. Because the recipe sounds good, ok I would not cook chicken breast that long. Did I read recipe right, is it what it's called for, but that has nothing to do with bitterness.
Recipe called for thighs.

Try making it without your "add ins". That will give you a basis for comparison. I know you cant get limes and I nave no substitute to suggest. Other than a bad ingredient as others have mentioned, making the "original" recipe should boil it down to the "add ins" if it turns out good.

Craig

Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Master Chef

I knew I did not read it right, thanks.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Okay I'm thinking it was either the avocados or the cilantro being cooked too long. I'll try it again without the extras as suggested and see how it comes out. Not sure I can convince hubby to give it a second try though.

Maybe I can trick him....

Side note: When he saw the dish last night he thought it was green curry because of the color. To make up for the disaster I made curry for lunch today....extra extra extra spicy like he likes it.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
Master Chef

Cooking cilantro for 5 min really isn't that long. I cook it in chili practically every weekend in the winter (my SIL needs a turkey chili intervention) and very often in soups and it changes in taste but never to bitter.

Ooh, I just thought of something ... Citrus juice can get bitter if cooked which is why it's added at the end after cooking in so many recipes.

If you have the ingredients, you could make extra marinade and reserve some so that it doesn't touch the chicken to use as a sauce. That way it doesn't have to be cooked.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
Head Chef

I am not sure what caused the bitterness (could be an imbalance in the ingredients - soy sauce, cilantro, coconut milk, avacados - seem like a pretty mish mush of stuff to be honest).

I agree with the others that try it as is and then experiment by adding things to it.

Also I make a chicken with cilantro, cream, cashews, garlic, chilies, lime zest, lime juice and ginger and I cook it for a long time and nothing ever goes bitter on me. I have also made curries using cilantro and coconut milk without an issue ever.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
Senior Cook

The avocados were the only addition to the original recipe, but I too thought the cilantro, soy sauce and coconut milk was an odd combo. The recipe is highly rated, though, and the comments were favorable, so I gave it a shot.

I've reached the conclusion that the cilantro was the culprit, though not necessarily from cooking. I used the same cilantro in a batch of guacamole I made the same evening, which tasted okay (though not as good as batches I've made without cilantro when I wasn't able to buy it). By the next day, however, the guac was forming the same bitter aftertaste that the chicken dish had. The cilantro was the only common ingredient as the avos I used for the guac were purchased on a different day and were all ripe and ready for making guac. The cilantro I used came from the same batch that went into the chicken dish. So whether it was cooking too long or just a bad batch, I feel pretty confident the cilantro was to blame. Maybe I just used too much, dunno. I used the amount called for in the chicken recipe so I'm leaning towards bad batch.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #17
Master Chef

Cilantro, soy sauce and coconut milk is a very common combination in SE Asian recipes. Which is what you made.

Interesting that both the chix and guac were bitter...
Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I'm with craig try it without the add on's also garlic gets very bitter if you burn it.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

i'm not a huge fan of cilantro. a little bit on top as a garnish is enough for me.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I've never had garlic go bitter on me and I cook a LOT of it. This definitely wasn't burned either way. Since the cilantro was producing the same aftertaste in the guac I'm certain it's the culprit, but I still plan on trying it again without the avos and tomatoes added.

Tags
chicken, cilantro