Chicken Cilantro Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Similar disaster

I made a tortilla soup that included a 1/3 of a bunch of cilantro per the recipe and 1/2 of a avocado. Although I have since read that cilantro stems can be bitter, the recipe did not say to remove them. We are suspicious the avocado was the contributor to the bitterness because it was not fully ripened and bitterness was not noticeable during the cooking process until the end after more avocado had been added. I may repeat the process to determine the bitterness cause since my background is as a scientist, and I want to know.

Interestingly, after reading related posts, I should note that 1/2 a lime was also cooked into the soup.

I think it's too much cilantro. I thought I liked it until I added too much once and it completely turned me off of using it at all.

Yes I think I agree with that. It just proves some recipes are meant only to read, and not be taken seriously!

Cilantro is a wildly intoxicating herb and will absolutely take over a meal so generally I use it as a finishing herb or an aromatic. Oh I also have used it as a salsa ingredient too.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've had bitter cilantro before from a "farmer's market", which here in jersey can be another name for 2nd or 3rd market foodstuffs.

but that's a simple thing to eliminate as a cause. just taste some, if you have any left.

Back
Top Bottom