"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have to admit that even when I purchase chicken from our local free-range organic purveyor at the farmers market, I still season it at least a little before cooking. Not because I think it would be tasteless & rubbery - it would still be great chicken - but because I feel that chicken in general is a fairly blank slate - especially if just plain-baked in the oven as opposed to outdoors on a charcoal grill.

Even just the basics of some olive oil or melted butter, a little salt & freshly ground black pepper elevates it. And when some crushed herbs, garlic, fresh lemon juice, whatever-floats-your-boat are added? A good local free-range bird becomes almost ethereal.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I have to admit that even when I purchase chicken from our local free-range organic purveyor at the farmers market, I still season it at least a little before cooking. Not because I think it would be tasteless & rubbery - it would still be great chicken - but because I feel that chicken in general is a fairly blank slate - especially if just plain-baked in the oven as opposed to outdoors on a charcoal grill.

Even just the basics of some olive oil or melted butter, a little salt & freshly ground black pepper elevates it. And when some crushed herbs, garlic, fresh lemon juice, whatever-floats-your-boat are added? A good local free-range bird becomes almost ethereal.
I totally agree.... Well stated....

Old 06-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have baked chicken both ways, seasoned and unseasoned (if unseasoned I add a little salt & pepper at the table), and I liked it both ways. I like to use just enough seasoning to compliment the flavor of the meat, not overpower it. One of my favorites is to rub it down with a blend of butter and garlic (stuffing some under the skin).

The only thing that confuses me is why it would be rubbery if not seasoned?

I'm in the 350 degree camp as well. I have had the most luck with that temperature.

Barbara
Old 06-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Lots of good ideas there, thanks
Old 06-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Most (everyone) I know selects a recipe FIRST and then gathers the ingredients. No one buys random ingredients and then asks others what recipe they should cook, especially using the most common protein in the known world - chicken. I suggest buying a cookbook, select a recipe that sounds interesting but simple, and follow it. Live for yourself, instead of letting others rule your life. You'll learn much faster that way.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #16
Head Chef

not me, I get some protein out of the freezer (or someone else does), I look in the pantry, then look up recipes for ideas of what to do with what I have. I think that is quite common.
And for someone new to cooking, asking for input on this site is appropriate.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #17
Master Chef

Site Moderator

So tell us, how did the chicken turn out? What else did you server with it????
Old 06-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Really?? Where do you people buy your chickens?

I don't feel the need to mask the flavor of baked/roasted meats. I can enjoy the natural flavor of the meat on it's own.
I just personally don't like chicken without any seasoning on it. I tried to go on a diet before eating only steamed chicken breast for lunch and I really don't like it :( It's just a personal preference though. Just like my bf doesn't mind if chicken is not seasoned he still finds it yummy.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #19
Mr. Greenjeans

I've often stood there over a pile of ingredients and asked myself "what should I do next?"

We have a great rule in the house, if it sucks, there is always pizza. Let loose! Do something you would never think of doing!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

When I buy chicken, I startt thinking how do I want to fix this? For me the wonderful smells that will the air as the bird cook in the oven is part of the reason I season the chicken. Stiffing herbed butter over and under the skin butter that has, chopped herbs rosemary,basil, tarragon and lemon zest and juice. I love it when my family comes in and say's what's cooking it smells fo good.Seasoning can't cook without it.
kades