Chicken cut into 4 pieces.... now what do I do with it ?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ayqazi

Assistant Cook
Hi,

So was at the butchers, and on a whim, decided to buy some chicken. I wasn't sure what I wanted, so asked him to 'cut it into 4 pieces', which is what I've heard others do.

Now I'm not sure what to do with it!

Any ideas for some simple recipes I can make with it? Maybe baking it or something, I'd rather not perform too much 'maintenance' on it before cooking :)

Thanks

Baking it is the easiest. Lay the four pieces in a baking dish, brush with oil and put it into a 400 F oven.

Baking it is the easiest. Lay the four pieces in a baking dish, brush with oil and put it into a 400 F oven.

No seasoning, my goodness that chicken is going to taste just awful... Please S&P at least then any other herbs or spices you like,,, Lemon is exceptional with chicken... 350 for me...

No seasoning, my goodness that chicken is going to taste just awful... Please S&P at least then any other herbs or spices you like,,, Lemon is exceptional with chicken... 350 for me...

Ooh, I like the sound of that, thanks muchly! Lemon and some herbs I can dig up in the fridge is what I will be using.

Thanks again!

I agree. Without seasoning it's just like gonna be chewing a rubber flavored bubble gum. Blunt. Season it with whatever's available in your kitchen that you think would make it taste better. S&P is a must! :)

...Without seasoning it's just like gonna be chewing a rubber flavored bubble gum...

Really?? Where do you people buy your chickens?

I don't feel the need to mask the flavor of baked/roasted meats. I can enjoy the natural flavor of the meat on it's own.

I don't feel the need to mask the flavor of baked/roasted meats. I can enjoy the natural flavor of the meat on it's own.

Where do you buy your chicken??? Mine doesn't come flavored and I believe (just me) seasoning is everything... To each his own, brown food tastes better and so does seasoned chicken IMHO... Happy Fathers Day!!! ;):)

I have to admit that even when I purchase chicken from our local free-range organic purveyor at the farmers market, I still season it at least a little before cooking. Not because I think it would be tasteless & rubbery - it would still be great chicken - but because I feel that chicken in general is a fairly blank slate - especially if just plain-baked in the oven as opposed to outdoors on a charcoal grill.

Even just the basics of some olive oil or melted butter, a little salt & freshly ground black pepper elevates it. And when some crushed herbs, garlic, fresh lemon juice, whatever-floats-your-boat are added? A good local free-range bird becomes almost ethereal.:)

I have to admit that even when I purchase chicken from our local free-range organic purveyor at the farmers market, I still season it at least a little before cooking. Not because I think it would be tasteless & rubbery - it would still be great chicken - but because I feel that chicken in general is a fairly blank slate - especially if just plain-baked in the oven as opposed to outdoors on a charcoal grill.

Even just the basics of some olive oil or melted butter, a little salt & freshly ground black pepper elevates it. And when some crushed herbs, garlic, fresh lemon juice, whatever-floats-your-boat are added? A good local free-range bird becomes almost ethereal.:)

I totally agree.... Well stated....

I have baked chicken both ways, seasoned and unseasoned (if unseasoned I add a little salt & pepper at the table), and I liked it both ways. I like to use just enough seasoning to compliment the flavor of the meat, not overpower it. One of my favorites is to rub it down with a blend of butter and garlic (stuffing some under the skin).

The only thing that confuses me is why it would be rubbery if not seasoned?

I'm in the 350 degree camp as well. I have had the most luck with that temperature.

:)Barbara

Most (everyone) I know selects a recipe FIRST and then gathers the ingredients. No one buys random ingredients and then asks others what recipe they should cook, especially using the most common protein in the known world - chicken. I suggest buying a cookbook, select a recipe that sounds interesting but simple, and follow it. Live for yourself, instead of letting others rule your life. You'll learn much faster that way.

not me, I get some protein out of the freezer (or someone else does), I look in the pantry, then look up recipes for ideas of what to do with what I have. I think that is quite common.
And for someone new to cooking, asking for input on this site is appropriate.

So tell us, how did the chicken turn out? What else did you server with it????

I just personally don't like chicken without any seasoning on it. I tried to go on a diet before eating only steamed chicken breast for lunch and I really don't like it :( It's just a personal preference though. Just like my bf doesn't mind if chicken is not seasoned he still finds it yummy.

I've often stood there over a pile of ingredients and asked myself "what should I do next?"

We have a great rule in the house, if it sucks, there is always pizza. Let loose! Do something you would never think of doing!

When I buy chicken, I startt thinking how do I want to fix this? For me the wonderful smells that will the air as the bird cook in the oven is part of the reason I season the chicken. Stiffing herbed butter over and under the skin butter that has, chopped herbs rosemary,basil, tarragon and lemon zest and juice. I love it when my family comes in and say's what's cooking it smells fo good.Seasoning can't cook without it.
kades

Back
Top Bottom