Chicken Fried Chicken Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, btw...about how long should they take? Or, without cutting one open, is there any way to tell if they're done?

A good thermometer probe is really helpful here, too.
Mine is from, of all people, Black and Decker, LOL!

Sounds good. I'd use chicken broth in place of the water though. You can never have too much chicken flavor IMO.

So just curious....how did the recipe turn out? I would like to try it too.

nickolasj80 said:
Hi, tonight I plan on making Chicken Fried Chicken using the recipe below:
Recipe - Chicken Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy

My question is, would it be ok to use boneless skinless thighs, instead of breasts? My family and I prefer thighs due to the tenderness.

Thanks,
Nick

I used to always make my chicken by the method described in your supplied recipe link, except that I would cook the chicken until barely browned in the fry-pan, and then pop into the over for 40 minutes at 375 F. The chicken breasts come out so juicy and tender that you almost can't believe how good they are.

My son taught me a different method that results in a much crispier coating on the chicken. I absolutely love it. Just dry the chicken peices with a paper towel, then mix together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. good chicken base, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, and 1/2 tsp. ground sage. Add enough water to make a sticky batter. Dip the chicken into the batter and fry in 360 F. hot oil until barely browned on all sides. Place on a cookie sheet and into the 375 F. oven, again for forty minutes. The chicken coating is much more crispy, similar to the extra-crispy coating on broasted chicken. But the meat is so tender that it will squirt you when you bite it. It is easily as tender as is the thigh meat. Also, marinating your chicken in buttermilk, or even ordinary milk will enhance the flavor and tenderness. Buttermilk will also add a more complex flavor, as has been suggested above.

Try the fry/oven technique. It's the only method I use to make fried chicken any more. It's foolproof and produces superior results. And believe me, I've tried about every technique going for making fried chicken.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

elaine l said:
So just curious....how did the recipe turn out? I would like to try it too.

I actually made this the other day with skinless, boneless chicken thighs. I had to de-skin and de-bone the thighs myself, but that is really easy to do. They fried up perfectly. Nice, large, uniformly thick slabs of thigh meat. The cream gravy is excellent, although I added a little extra black pepper to mine. Good stuff.

I think the thighs fry up better than the breasts. They are flavorful, juicier and uniform in thickness. Of course, you could use a meat mallet to get your breasts to a uniform thickness as well.

Hmmm.....do they even sell skinless and boneless thighs? I don’t think I’ve ever seen them. Not that I’d buy them since they would charge more for the process (and it’s easy to do yourself), but I am curious.

Keltin.....

Iv'e seen them here as well in the above mentioned markets as well as others. However with the price being what they are I have never bought them. Skinning and deboneing a thigh is just too easy.

Thanks Katie and Uncle Bob! I can’t believe I’ve never seen them before.....and I’m addicted to the meat aisle and counters! Both of you guys are in the south, with Uncle Bob being in Mississippi right next door to me, so it can’t be a “southern thing” that I haven’t seen them. I’ll have to look a bit harder. I’m on a quest now. :)

I'll try Kroeger first since I've been wanting to get some more buffalo meat anyway, and the Kroeger near me usually carries it......although it's hard getting DW to eat it!

Back
Top Bottom