Chicken Problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snap410

Assistant Cook
I have cooked for some time and @ times not very successful. My question here today on Easter Sunday Is: Every time I cook a whole bird I CAN NOT get a crispy skin. I've followed every bodies instructions (Family members-friends) But to no Avail. Without going into what I have or have not done,can someone PLEASE direct me? Please start from the beginning like I'm a rank novice.Thank you:mad:

I rub over the entire bird with olive oil or canola oil, cover, then bake it, before taking it out of the oven, I remove the tin foil or pan cover and let it crisp in the oven - I do it by sight so, maybe 10-15 mins? Too long and your bird will be dry, so keep an eye on it. Also you may have to turn the temp of your oven up just a bit. If I'm cooking at 350, I turn it up to 400. Hope that helps.

Welcome to D.C.!!
If you are using a regular oven, you can baste the skin with some melted butter, seasoned with some salt, garlic powder, maybe some oregano or basil. That should do the trick. Of course, we could help you more if we knew what you had tried. Details.... we need details. :)

Thank you for your response. Please 4give me for my question which now I see had NO info. I'm new at this. Ok, I've tried the "Oven @ 450 for 1/2 then bringing It down to 350" I've also "Slathered It in butter" I've "covered It in Oil" You name It. My oven is fairly new & I did check the temp ith an independant thermometor, It's right on.So, I sit here scratching my head wondering what If anything I've done wrong. My Sister say's "She does nothing' I had Thanksgiving dinner there and watched. She did nothing unusual. The Skin was SUER CRISP. Go figure. She did Bast It,tho. Again,I thank you. Oh, I did sprinkle with Paprika, like a few people told me to do. Thank you,again

Last edited:
I'm a believer in the turn it up really high for the first 10-15 minutes. Like really high. 450-500. Then down to 350. But a turkey is different from a chicken is different from a Cornish game hen (what I did last night). As a real cheater, if all else fails you can turn on the broiler at the last minute. Won't be all-over, but will be crisp on top.

Is the chicken the only thing in the oven when it's cooking?
And I'll assume it is "done", juices running clear?

Yes, It's the only thing in the oven and you assumed correct Juice running clear & about 175 degrees.. This is almost like I have this "NO CRISP, JINKS" I must say this, I've done a lot of cooking in my life and had winners and losers..But this IS bafling. I'm getting close to Company coming so, I'm gonna put this bird in soon and I wish myself luck..lol And Thank you, pacanis. You have a great day.

Last edited:
If you just washed the chicken before you add butter, oil, and or herbs you may want to pat the skin dry. Other than that, you should be good. Oh, leave it uncovered while it bakes.

I thank you ALL. Everyone has been very helpful I'm going to try some of these techniques. BTW,LindLou, I had washed and patted dry the beast I also, seasoned the thing. I don't know how I'm going to make this work as my fingers are crossed which hinders my mobility some. Everybody have nice & tasty day.

The Zuni Cafe's dry brined high heat roasted chicken is easy and the best chicken you'll ever eat. They serve it with a bread salad made with drippings which is awesome if carbs are your friend.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/12/zuni-cafe-roast-chicken-bread-salad/

Dont bother basting a chicken or turkey. It doesn't make it moister (skin repels liquid) or crisper. And opening the oven a lot isn't a good thing.

Very Good, Sir Loin?..A terrific Idea. But ,I had that one beat myself. I was going to run up to "Boston Market" & get one of those delicious Rotisserie chickens. I think there ONLY 8 or 9 Dollars with 3 sides!Thanks again.

Very Good, Sir Loin?..A terrific Idea. But ,I had that one beat myself. I was going to run up to "Boston Market" & get one of those delicious Rotisserie chickens. I think there ONLY 8 or 9 Dollars with 3 sides!Thanks again.

My Boston Market closed, the space sits empty, even the signs have been removed. :(

Back
Top Bottom