"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chicken Sauce Recipes?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on making a sauce for chicken.

I cook a lot of chicken in batch (breast, thigh, wings). I then store it in the fridge and snack on it throughout the week.

Instead of eating it bland I want to start making my own sauces, similar to the mild piri-piri type of sauces. I'm not a huge lover of hot spices so does anyone have any alternative recipes?

Also, can I store these sauces in jars and keep in the cupboard or fridge for any length of time?

Many thanks!

Old 01-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Cook

SO are you looking for a dipping sauce, something to glaze over the chicken, or a marinade to soak it in?

I often grill up chicken strips and then put them in the fridge for salads and sandwiches. I will just whip up a sauce depending on what I want that day, for instance the other day, I whisked balsamic vinegar, honey, a bit of brown sugar, and olive oil together and drizzled it over my chicken on top of baby spinach, fresh mozz and sliced tomato.

Other times I will mix some thousand island dressing and mayo and make a sandwich.

a better idea of what you are looking for or what you are going to serve it with may get you some better ideas...

Old 01-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
Executive Chef

We like to make chicken Caesar salad. The dressing is home-made.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Master Chef

Chicken Veloute - Place two tbs. butter into a pan and melt. Add two tbs AP flour to the mix and stir into a paste. Let cook until it turns slightly blond in color. Add a dash or two of Turmeric, and a little salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in chicken broth until you have a smooth and creamy sauce. You can also add a quarter tsp. of rubbed sage to this.

Sweet & sour - heat 2 cups chicken broth in a pot. Add 1 can crushed pineapple, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp. ground garlic, a dash of Chinese 5-spice powder, and 1/4 tsp. ginger. Cook for 15 minutes. Now, add vinegar, a little at a time, stir and taste. When it has the proper balance of sweet and sour, thicken with a cornstarch slurry made from 2 tbs. cornstarch, mixed with 3 tbs. water. Bring to a boil and stir until thickened.

Butter Sauce - Melt a stick of butter. Combine the following herbs and spices: 1/4 tsp. ground sage, 1/2 tsp. ground pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. dried basil, 1/4 tsp. dried Thyme, dash of rosemary, 2 dashes ground ginger, 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper, 1/4 tsp. dried marjoram, 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp. granulated onion powder. Combine these with your butter. Chill.

cream Sauce - Melt a stick of butter. Add 3 tbs. AP flour. Combine the following herbs and spices: 1/4 tsp. ground sage, 1/2 tsp. ground pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. dried basil, 1/4 tsp. dried Thyme, dash of rosemary, 2 dashes ground ginger, 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper, 1/4 tsp. dried marjoram, 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp. granulated onion powder. Combine these with your butter-flour mixture. Whisk in milk until a smooth and creamy sauce forms.

You can also use Alfredo sauce, or a good salsa, or marinara as sauces with chicken.

Others will come on and give you even more to work with.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Chicken Veloute - Place two tbs. butter into a pan and melt. Add two tbs AP flour to the mix and stir into a paste. Let cook until it turns slightly blond in color. Add a dash or two of Turmeric, and a little salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in chicken broth until you have a smooth and creamy sauce. You can also add a quarter tsp. of rubbed sage to this.
I am going to make this today, thank you chief...
Old 01-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Posts removed or edited due to responding to spammer.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
Master Chef

When I have a plain boneless chicken breast and I'm a little bored with it I make Buffalo chicken. I shake some hot sauce on the boneless chicken breast, heat it in the microwave and top it with some creamy blue cheese dressing. It is great on top of a salad.

A leftover boneless skinless chicken breast topped with a slice of deli ham or some crispy bacon and a slice of Swiss cheese, heated in the microwave and drizzled with Thousand Island dressing is nice. Good on a plate, as a sandwich or sliced as a salad topper.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi. I found this recipe for piri piri sauce: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/piri-piri-sauce

If you want something like this without the heat, just leave out the chiles, or use less. You can keep it in the fridge for a few days. For longer storage, put some in the freezer.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Master Chef

I made notes of some of these great ideas too. A small can of Herdez mild salsa makes a good simple sauce over chicken and rice.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #10
Head Chef

Instant chicken burrito: Cube or shred a breast, mix in some sauteed onion and black beans and shredded Mexican cheese. Roll in a flour tortilla. Smother with canned green chili and top with some shredded cheese, then heat in the microwave or toaster oven. You can substitute or add anything you like to the stuffing - whole green chilis, jalapenos, different kind of beans, season with various Mexican seasoning blends.

Tags
chicken, recipe, sauce