"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
Cook

I make my own chicken stock all the time, and find it's much better then canned broths and stocks, and also much cheaper. I start by roasting a whole chicken, pull the meat from the bones and use in any recipe that calls for rotisserie chicken. I make anything from enchiladas to chicken salad.

Next I put all the bones and skin in the bottom of my slow cooker. Add a medium onion, large carrot, and two stalks of celery, all roughly chopped. A few sprigs of fresh thyme if I have it, or a good pinch of dry if I don't, a couple of bay leaves, about a tablespoon of salt and a teaspoon of black peppercorns. Top with about 2 and a half quarts of cold water, turn the slow cooker on low and let it go for 8 to 10 hours (I usually do this before bed and let it cook overnight.) In the morning just strain out all the solids through a cheesecloth lined sieve. This recipe yields about 2 quarts of nice clear delicious stock!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Kayelle, if it is available in your area, College Inn makes a stock called Bold that is excellent.
Thanks for the tip Pacanis. I'll look for it.
Like I mentioned, I know how to make stock, and have done it. A good one is time intensive and sure involves more than boiling a piece of chicken in water. All of us use shortcuts, and one of mine is canned chicken broth.
Watch someone pipe up and claim they make their own flour.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Kayelle,

I am all about being willing to take a short cut when needed. I do prefer to make my stock, I think it is better. And it is far less salty (I don't add salt to my stock). The boxed ones can be over the top with salt.

I made some chili once using the Hard Times packet and some boxed stock (or broth, don't remember). It was way too salty because of the salt in the packet and the stock. The next time I went on a hunt for lower salt stock.

When the pressure cooker arrived the first thing Kathleen said to me was "time for you to make stock"
Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for the tip Pacanis. I'll look for it.
Like I mentioned, I know how to make stock, and have done it. A good one is time intensive and sure involves more than boiling a piece of chicken in water. All of us use shortcuts, and one of mine is canned chicken broth.
Watch someone pipe up and claim they make their own flour.
I have used both College Inn and Swansons. Both have given me good results. That being said, my absolutely favorite off the shelf stock is Kitchen Basics Stock.

Kayelle, the KA has a grain mill attachment. You know it is only a matter of time.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Executive Chef

We do use Swansons quite often. It takes a while to accumulate enough backs, carcasses and wing tips for homemade. But the homemade stock is so much richer, especially if the "bones" and vegis are roasted.

Regarding College Inn, isn't one of the first ingredients MSG?

Craig
Old 02-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

It doesn't say so on my bottles, Craig. It does say something like a small amount of glutamate occurs in the yeast extract... something like that. It wouldn't bother me if it had MSG in it anyway, I'm not allergic and have a bottle that I keep in in the cupboard for when I make some Asian dishes.

I've no doubt that with the right recipe homemade stock/broth could be a superior product, but stock is something I just don't make. I draw the line at raising my own eggs. And anytime I get a pot of something that looks like chicken stock, I turn it into soup, lol.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #17
Master Chef

Kayelle, the KA has a grain mill attachment. You know it is only a matter of time.

Oh that man of yours and his "attachment" to Lucille.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Master Chef

I have never made chicken broth from meat only, I always use both. Does it mean that I actually have beenmaking stock?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Oh that man of yours and his "attachment" to Lucille.
I have a mortar and pestle...
Old 02-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I have never made chicken broth from meat only, I always use both. Does it mean that I actually have beenmaking stock?
Charlie,

If you have extracted flavor from simmering bones in water, you have made stock.

But these days, the terms are nearly interchangeable

Tags
chicken, soup