"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Charlie,

If you have extracted flavor from simmering bones in water, you have made stock.

But these days, the terms are nearly interchangeable
Stock is something that I've been striving to perfect for the past couple of years. I think there are certain things one should know how to make (and strive to perfect): ceasar salad, spaghetti sauce, stock, chili, lefse, bread and chocolate chip cookies. (Okay, lefse only if your ancestors came from Norway <g>).

I have to say, my beef stock is better than Swanson's <g>. And the last batch of chicken stock I made was darned good...The nice thing about making your own is can make it so there is no additional sodium. When you look at the sodium content re: processed soups and broth, it is high. I often do "freezer meals" for my elderly parents who, out of necessity, eat a lot of processed food. I am shocked at how much sodium my heart-patient parents consume each day in processed foods.

Anyway, back to the last batch of chicken stock. I had roasted a chicken. I took the bones and what was in the bottom of the roaster, broke the larger bones (they are a lot harder to break then you would think--used the vice), tossed the bones back in the roaster, added some additional water, and let everything cook at 250 for about 8 hours. I did add a fresh bay leaf and a couple of stocks of celery. Dark, chickeny stock. It is more time consuming than stove top. I toss everything except the stock away. I chill the stock to remove any fat and then I'm ready to make soup. And do check to make sure there is still liquid in the roaster <g>.

For beef stock, I brown the marrow bones first on the stove top, and then toss them with water into the roaster. Sometimes I add a bit of vinegar (supposedly vinegar helps pull calcium out of the bones), sometimes not. The stock is ready when the bones are "tea coloured." I love the smell of beef stock...I wake up throughout the night and tiptoe down to take a peek...Again, I toss the bones, give the dogs the marrow, and save any meat that came off the bones for Beef Barley Soup. The problem I have is that I want to drink the stock as is--when I'm supposed to "save it" for stews, etc. It is more time consuming (I start the stock the night before, put the stock in the fridge, take off the fat in the afternoon, and then I can start my soup or stew). And, do check to make sure the roaster doesn't "cook dry."

I don't make broth very often. I prefer my homemade stock.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
Master Chef

@cws

yummmmmmmm!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for the tip Pacanis. I'll look for it.
Like I mentioned, I know how to make stock, and have done it. A good one is time intensive and sure involves more than boiling a piece of chicken in water. All of us use shortcuts, and one of mine is canned chicken broth.
Watch someone pipe up and claim they make their own flour.
I don't mill my own flour, but a friend does!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I too like to make my own. I had been making my own, and ran out to get a carton of beef stock. They changed the recipe and now includes MSG. I really didn't enjoy the headache that followed and will be making my own from here on out. I really wish I had a butcher close so that I could buy the bits and pieces and make some nice stock out of it.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
I too like to make my own. I had been making my own, and ran out to get a carton of beef stock. They changed the recipe and now includes MSG. I really didn't enjoy the headache that followed and will be making my own from here on out. I really wish I had a butcher close so that I could buy the bits and pieces and make some nice stock out of it.
I get my bones from an abatoir (sp). Only downside is I get a 40 lb bag for $10. I can only get the bones when I have room in the freezer (and s/one to heave them into the freezer for me--I thunk the bag on the concrete step to break them apart to package them in smaller bags--) or if I know we are in for a cold spell! Last time I made beef stock, I had 3 roasters in the oven (the large one, the next size, and then yet the next size!). I only got 6 ice cube trays of stock at the end of the day. (And about 4-5 mugs full for me ... oops).
Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
@cws

yummmmmmmm!!!
I'd enter an "Iron Challenge" on my beef stock. Close to throwing down that gantlet for the chicken stock. Made an amazing pork stock a couple of weeks ago. And, the last turkey stock I made was amazing--but I haven't repeated that one often enough to accept an "Iron Challenge," but the beef stock, I'm there.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #27
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Last night i made duck soup. Started with the left over carcass from Monday's roast duck. Got as much of the meat off the bones as I could. Broke up the carcass, including snapping the leg bones. Covered the bones with water and simmered for about 3 hours. Tossed in carrot, celery tops and a bulb of garlic. Simmered another hourish. Tossed the junk from the pot.

The soup I made with the stock turned out very nice, and rich.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Last night i made duck soup. Started with the left over carcass from Monday's roast duck. Got as much of the meat off the bones as I could. Broke up the carcass, including snapping the leg bones. Covered the bones with water and simmered for about 3 hours. Tossed in carrot, celery tops and a bulb of garlic. Simmered another hourish. Tossed the junk from the pot.

Duck soup! I envy you.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

There has to be a Marx Brothers joke in there somewhere!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #30
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Duck soup! I envy you.
Get to roasting yer duck man...

Tags
chicken, soup