"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chicken soup vs Chicken stock: Simple question

Hi,
I just finished making a huge full chicken. I of course have leftovers which will become very useful. I'm planning on making chicken noodle soup from the leftovers and bones and I also want to make chicken stock as well. I searched on how to make chicken stock and it looks basically as if I were to make chicken soup. What is the difference?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Master Chef

Well, chicken stock has no solids, chicken soup does. When I make chicken soup, I always use chicken stock as part, if not all, of the liquid.

There are those who will tell you that homemade chicken stock is the only way to go. Then there's me. I can't make chicken stock better than Swanson's brand of canned chicken broth, nothing else will do for me. I use it for my chicken soup, and it always turns out well.

By the way.......welcome to DC, you'll like it here.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Ok I guess I should clarify then. The difference between chicken stock and chicken soup broth
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Executive Chef

We use chicken stock to make chicken soup. Homemade is the best. When we cut up whole chickens or have chicken wings, I'll save the backs and wing tips for stock. I generally roast these off with the vegis before adding to the stock pot. As Anne Burrell likes to say, "brown food equals flavor". Some white wine, water and a bouquet garni and your set. I like to slow simmer for hours. Then strain through a collander or chinois. Don't forget to skim the fat.

Craig
Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
We use chicken stock to make chicken soup. Homemade is the best. When we cut up whole chickens or have chicken wings, I'll save the backs and wing tips for stock. I generally roast these off with the vegis before adding to the stock pot. As Anne Burrell likes to say, "brown food equals flavor". Some white wine, water and a bouquet garni and your set. I like to slow simmer for hours. Then strain through a collander or chinois. Don't forget to skim the fat.

Craig
My point exactly, Craig. My homemade is not better than Swanson's, so there's no shame in leaving it to the experts.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

As I understand it broth is seasoned, stock is not.

Kayelle, I make my chicken stock/broth by boiling a chicken thigh in about 8 cups of water for 45 minutes to a maximum of an hour. You can use the thigh meat in the dish you are making or as I often do, just freeze it for later. I do this when I'm getting ready to make beans. Why buy it when I can make it for free?

Sometimes I season the stock, just salt and a bay leaf unless I get "fancy" then any seasoning can go into it. If I'm going to make beans, I may use Cajun seasoning.

I also like to use drumsticks. I buy the 10# bag of chicken legs, separate the thighs from the drumsticks and package the drumsticks in sandwich size baggies. Just the right amount for a nice chicken soup.

The trick here is not boiling bones or carcasses for hours, but just to end up with a flavorful stock/broth, PLUS nicely cooked chicken that is usable.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
Master Chef

The way I understand is the stock is a concentrated soup.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I finally Googled it and the answer was that stock is made from the bones, and broth with meat. So what I make with the chicken thigh is a broth, and what I make from a turkey carcass is stock. Both are seasoned and have celery, onion, etc.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
Master Chef

The difference between stock and broth is the use of bones.

Broth is made by simmering meat in water.

Stock us made by simmering bones and meat in water.

The bones give stock a deeper flavor and a thicker texture.

You can use either stock or broth to make soup.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Kayelle, if it is available in your area, College Inn makes a stock called Bold that is excellent.

Tags
chicken, soup