"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Nicholas, in your tastings did you try the boxed stock from Kitchen Basics? That is my favorite by far. It is actually stock, not broth like most of the boxes, because they use bones. if you can find it and have not already tried it I would recommend giving it a shot.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Yeah, I did try Kitchen Basics. One thing I did notice is that not a single carton I sampled was gelatinous at room temperature - this tells me that none of them use very much chicken pieces with connective tissue. I consider all of them broths because of this.

I never use them for pan sauces or anything that requires reduction. Sometimes I'll cheat and put some in a rice dish if there is enough other components such as sausage and spices to mask the slightly-odd after taste that packaged stocks have.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Very good point about them being gelatinous.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Ditto the Swanson recommendation - and get the low sodium carton.
Ditto from me too. Swanson puts out such a good product, I never mess with homemade stock anymore. On the other side of the coin, the other brands I've tried (because of sale prices) aren't worth a hoot.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
Flour Child

I read somewhere recently (newspaper?) that an unbiased organization ran a taste survey for all the different brands of chicken stock including designer label ones like wolfgang puck and rachael ray etc and Swanson's came out on top by a long shot...no contest!

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Mollyanne, your post prompted me to google the subject. The Washington Post rated Swanson's tops as did one or two other tests. Food & Wine rated College Inn tops, which I don't understand and Swanson's was third.

I had used College Inn for years because my Mom used it. After discussing the topic here many years ago, I did a taste test of my own with College Inn and Swanson's. SO and I both liked Swanson's better.