Chicken stock in a slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwh

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I wondered if it was possible to make chicken stock in a slow cooker? As cooking stock on the stove top requires regular skimming of the scum during the first stage, I didn't know if you'd be able to do this with a slow cooker so I wasn't sure if it was possible.

Appreciate any advice.

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work, doing it on high - I do my spegetti sauce and my barbque sauce in it, as it can simmer without me having to worry about it burning.

Thanks for the reply,

But what about the skimming part? As mentioned, when doing it the stove-top way you need to skim it regularly but I'm not sure how you'd go about doing this with a slow-cooker due to the low temperature, ie. not sure if any scum would appear and therefore the stock would be cloudy.

I've never used a slow cooker before so I'm also not sure what the recipe would be. I don't think you use the same amount of water as you do with the stove-top method, do you?

The method and amounts would be exactly the same doing it on the stove top vs doing it in the slow cooker. The only thing that may be different is the amount of time.

Oh right - and how long would you let it cook for?

Just like on the stove, I would cook it until it is done.

Sorry for the smarty answer, but the reason for it is that I really do not go by time. I taste it and when it tastes right I am done. Different factors will come into play as to how long it takes from how much stock yu are trying to make to how many bones you are using.

I have a friend who sets up the slow cooker before going to bed and in the morning he has stock. He skims any visible muck and strains the rest and chills it. Takes off the fat once it is cold and has good jellied stock. Not the most refined but very good tasting for soup and stews.

Back
Top Bottom