Chicken stock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g4user

Assistant Cook
Hi there,

I made a chicken stock last night from a very well known english chef who once played football. I used a 2/3 of the ingredients since my biggest pot wouldn't hold the full wack. I used 2KG of chicken wings (cheap in Ireland!!) and followed the recipe to a t (skimming etc). Once cooled the stock quite gelatinous and not at all fluid. Is this ok, I mean it tastes great and I made a fantastic (I know, modesty is a virtue) red wien sauce but I was just curious.

Chris

Your stock should be like that when it cools, heating it back up will remedy that. Enjoy:chef:

Hi Chris and welcome to the site. Not only is that OK, that is perfect. A good stock will be gelatinous like that. That is exactly what you want to see. When you heat it up it will become fluid again and you will notice that unctuous mouth feel that you get from a good stock. Way to go!

wow! That was fast and very positive. Hey thanks! I can see this forum is going to be a veritable source of information.

Chris

g4, you have no idea how much information you'll get here!

We all help each other, inspire each other, and learn from one another. It's a great place to be!

PS - welcome to the family!

Raven said:
Mmm!! You've inspired me to try making my own stock. Usually I use the canned stuff and it has no flavor at all.

~ Raven ~
Raven, I am not sure where you are located or if you have access to this, but Kitchen Basics stock is some of the best mass produced stock around. They actually make it with bones unlike a lot of the others. If you have a Trader Joes near you then check them out. They carry Kitchen Basics. It comes in a cardboard box which can be closed once it is opened so if you don't use all the stock right away then it can go back in the fridge. Of course it still does not even come close to homemade stock :chef:

Hi Jennyema

hmm, thought that be the case. What would you suggest as a bone source? I am guessing carcusses but there not as easily available.ß

As far as bones goes, if you want to make even more gelatinous, use chicken feet. The bones from legs anf neck are really good, but otherwise any bones will do.

If you were to be industrious, only buy whole chickens and butcher them yourself into boneless breasts, tenders, thighs and drumsticks, saving the bones and scraps for stock. Your local butcher will do the work for you as well.

Also, every time you cook bone-in chicken, save the bones for stock.

And consider buying a bigger pot.

If you can't use up all the stock you made, try freezing it in 1 or 2 cup containers. That way you can just grab it out of the freezer when you need it in the future. I even freeze stock in ice cube trays for those times when I need just a little bit. After they are frozen solid; I pop them out and store in zip top freezer bags.

Hi all,

G4user - hi there I'm in Ireland too, although I'm origionally from Canada :mrgreen: Welcome to the site, I love it here, it's like getting together with a big group of your favourite friends!

I always try to freeze my chicken carcases if I'm not going to be using them for stock right away. But in a carcass needing pinch I have often been able to score some for free or next to nothing from butchers - both independent and grocery store types.

In days gone by the gelatinous part of the stock was not only prized it was revered as a sign of a great stock maker!

In the orient, when they make stocks, they use the bones so as to extract the collagen (a cousing to portien and very nutritious). If slightly acidic veggies are added to the cooking stock, it helps extract the collagen (the stuff that makes it gell) from the bones. These stocks are known in the orient as soups of longevity.

When you make your stock, especially when you are using poultry, it's best to crack the bones before adding to the liquid. The joints of the bones are reich in collagen as well.

Collagen does not have any flavor. But when you have cooked the bones long enough to extract the collagen, and the stock gells wehn cooled, then you have also extracted as much flavor as possible from the ingredients. I also add the poultry skins to my stock as it's cooking, for that extra flavor. I refridgerate it overnight. The fat floats on top and hardens, much like parafin. I then lift it off the gelled stock and have a fat-free stock with tons of flavor. I don't season it while making the initial stock as I can then divide it into meal-sized portions, and season it for whatever meal I'm preparing.

So, as the others have stated, yes, your stock is indeed better when gelled, and more nutritious to boot. :mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Andy M. said:
And consider buying a bigger pot.

Amen, I never have a big enough pot at home to satisfy me, although at work the tilt skillet is great:chef:

I don't even know how to cook in a small pot. My pots are 5, 8, 10, 12 and 16 quarts. Whenever I try to cook in a small pot I end up moving stuff latter into a biger one.

I hear that CharlieD!!!! It is terrible that I don't have as many to cook for as I used to have.

Shunka, just cook your "regular giant meal" and then freeze the unused part for a lazy day! Or, ship it to us (hee hee)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom