Chicken+White Wine=Crispy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calebdaniel

Assistant Cook
I have a whole chicken in my fridge currently that I need to find something to do with. My only stipulations are these; I must do it in a way that I end up with crispy (but not fried) chicken skin. I also would like to utilize the half a bottle of dry chardonay I have in my fridge. I was thinking of glazing the chicken with the wine but I am concerned that my chicken will get soggy rather than crispy. Any suggestions or spectacular recipes?

Do you have a kettle BBQ grill? Beer Butt chicken subbing wine for the beer. Personally, I would just drink the wine while waiting for the chicken to cook!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

You can't glaze chicken with wine, really. You could make a sauce with it.

I'd also suggest brining the chicken and roasting it at high heat while drinking the wine while it cooks.

As has been said, you can't achieve crispy skin with too much liquid. You could use a bit of it but, it will evaporate eventually. Crispy skin is a result of high heat and moisture evaporation. Adding more liquid will not help you achieve your goal.

Roast uncovered on a higher setting until crispy and drink the wine.

Last edited:
You can't glaze chicken with wine, really. You could make a sauce with it.

I'd also suggest brining the chicken and roasting it at high heat while drinking the wine while it cooks.

Sounds good to me. Rub a little oil on the skin to help crisp it.

Do you have an injector/syringe? Perhaps you could inject the wine (possibly infused with some herbs first) into the meat and then dry the outside and rub with a bit of oil. Or, like jennyema suggested, make a sauce to serve with it.

I have never tried it with chardonay, but I often marinate chicken in dry sherry and parsley, pour off the liquid and roast, uncovered. I always get a crispy skin.

Chicken Scarpiello

Ingredients:

Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2-1 pound fennel sausage, cut into bite- size pieces
3-pound chicken cut into about 8 pieces with bone left intact
Kosher salt
1/2 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
3 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
3/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup quartered hot cherry peppers
1/2 cup hot cherry pepper juice, from the jar
1 cup chicken stock, plus a little more if needed
3 sprigs fresh oregano, picked and chopped

Directions: 1. Coat the bottom of a large Dutch Oven with olive oil and bring to medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown well. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and reserve.
2. Season the chicken generously with salt and add oven that the sausage was browned in. Brown the chicken well, crisping the skin last. Once the chicken is brown on all sides, remove it from the Dutch oven and reserve.
3. Drain the oil and return it to the heat. Coat the oven lightly with new olive oil, add the onions and season with salt. Cook the onions over medium heat until they are translucent and very aromatic, 6 to 7 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
5. Add the wine to the pan and reduce it by half.
6. While the wine is reducing, scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
7. Return the sausage and add the cherry peppers, cherry pepper juice, chicken stock, oregano and chicken to the pan while keeping the crispy skin above the liquid. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes.
8. Remove the lid and simmer for 5 more minutes; add more chicken stock if the stock has reduced too much.
9. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.

The finished dish should be slightly soupy, spicy, and delicious.

Last edited:
Dear Selkie, that looks like a fun recipe. I haven't ever combined sausage much with chicken, but it I can see i working well together.

Brine the chicken and include the white wine in the brine, drizzle on honey and season salt and roast at 350 and skin should crisp up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom