Chile rellenos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby J

Assistant Cook
Made rellanos yesterday and used toothpicks to reseal the slits I put in the sides. I got to thinking that there HAS to be a better way. Has someone invented an edible thread? That would be great! I checked. Nope! So I began to think about it... what could work? A partially-cooked piece of spaghetti? Maybe leave the point end uncooked so it could function as a needle? Or how about a blanched section of a scallion? Those can sometimes be tough enough if they're very green.
Are there any ideas out there? I can't be the only amateur cook who has wondered about this.

Welcome to the forum! I haven't seen any suggestions for this, even in all those Mexican CBs I have. But I also haven't cooked that many chile rellenos. The idea of the spaghetti made the wheels turn - if you've cooked with many Asian noodles, you'll know that cellophane noodles (made from mung bean starch) are very resilient and rubbery, even though most are very thin. But there are some much thicker in Asian markets, and just soaked briefly in hot water, they may be you are looking for. Not sure what you'd use for the needle, however. :)

Last edited:
Rellanos

Thanks for the reply. I have discarded the noodle idea. Once cooked a little in oil, they will lose their ability to hold the slits closed. But thanks for responding.

If you roast the pepper until black, peel and do not over fill, they will stay closed just long enough to egg batter them and a quick dip in hot oil.
You must leave the stem as that is going to be your handle to put them down into hot oil. I make them and sometimes a little bit of cheese does come out. But that does not affect the dish.

Or skip the deep fry and just put the folded side down and bake them just like a enchilada.
You are using Pablamos right?

Never had an issue with the slits, either naked or battered.

Back
Top Bottom