Chili Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibb

Assistant Cook
My chili is too thin( i like it really thick). I made it with beer tomato sauce and paste for the liquid base and its been simmering all day, the meat is fall apart tender but the sauce is far too thin for my taste. Should I remove remove the meat and crank the heat to reduce it, or add a thickener such as cornstarch?

You could add some flour a little at a time on medium heat until it's the consistency that you want. Stir often.

I wouldn't use wheat flour. Like Andy said corn flour (masa) or cornstarch.

But it's best to limit the liquid up front. Use way less and add more if needed.

If you don't have Masa Harina (which, btw, I love but recommend you store in the freezer, I picked up 5 bags in MN in August--can't find it here, I had each bag in a separate plastic bin--one unopened bag ended up full of bugs--grrr), try tomato paste. If you want to stop the meat from being overcooked, I guess you could strain the sauce, simmer it with the tomato paste, and then mix all the strained ingredients back in.

My chili is too thin( i like it really thick). I made it with beer tomato sauce and paste for the liquid base and its been simmering all day, the meat is fall apart tender but the sauce is far too thin for my taste. Should I remove remove the meat and crank the heat to reduce it, or add a thickener such as cornstarch?
The first I'd do is what you're suggesting, remove the meat and reduce the sauce. If not satisfied then go to Plan-B. Masa Harina would be ideal, if not available then I'd use arrowroot if any around, and if not, cornstarch.

I have had a hard time finding masa harina in the past, but we do have polenta (already made in a tube) in supermarket. I have added that to chili as a thickener with success.

I also made chili today and the only liquid I used was 1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes to 2 lb beef and beans. I never add any other liquid and my chili is never thin.

img_957681_0_7b794b77de2fedcb4ccd58fd521ca009.jpg

Last edited:
When I have made my chili too thin I just let it slow simmer until it isn't. I usually make chili the day before so there is no rush.

As stated by everyone else, Masa Harina (literaly translated as corn flour) will thicken your chili. It does add the flavor of fresh corn tortillas to your chili. If it isn't available in you locale, corn chips will work. If you don't want the added salt of corn chips, uncooked fresh corn tortillas will work wonders. If you just want to thicken it without changing the flavor much, you can thicken the chili with refried beans as well. It's all good. I usually have so many beans and veggies in my chili that it's thick enough, though I always add both masa harina and cilantro for the flavors they add.

Love chili, especially the kind found in the midwest. Texas chili is great, but I grew up in the Great Lakes area and prefer what I grew up with.

Gotta say it though, if you haven't tried a true Texas chili, then you are missing out.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If you add beans to your chili, you can mash up a can or half a can of red kidney beans and stir them into the sauce. They will help to thicken it and keep the flavor consistent.

Going by Gibb's initial post, where he's using beer as part of the liquid, gotta think this is a "Texas" chili meaning that adding beans is a 'no-no', so not an option to thicken the chili.
So guess it's either the other suggested remedies, a thickener like arrowroot or cornstarch, or...starting over again!
So what did you do gibb?

Going by Gibb's initial post, where he's using beer as part of the liquid, gotta think this is a "Texas" chili meaning that adding beans is a 'no-no', so not an option to thicken the chili.
So guess it's either the other suggested remedies, a thickener like arrowroot or cornstarch, or...starting over again!
So what did you do gibb?

Last time I had "Texas chili" it had black beans in it, I don't think it had beer in it - my sister made it, she lives in Texas. Oh well, just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom