Chili too Sweet - What to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

specmat

Assistant Cook
Making Chili, It is a little too sweet from the sugar added

What can I counter it with to make less sweet

Thanks

Ed

Make more chili with no sugar and combine the two.

Adding other ingredients to negate the sweetness will probably result in changing the taste of the chili to the point where you won't like it.

I'm with Andy. I was going to suggest you add all of your ingredients again (same as the first time) and leave out the sugar!

The problem is the chili is already made and I am trying to figure out to make it less sweet with the current batch

Thanks

Ed

Citrus juice (Lime or lemon) or even a light touch of vinegar works well for me..

I never add sugar to my chili..

though sometimes I put a bit of Catsup into my bowl!

Eric, Austin Tx.

You could try adding some cocoa too if it doesn't have it already. Gives it a rich taste and may counteract the sweetness. Just a thought.

Welcome to DC! How much sugar did you add? I second the touch of vinegar, and always use unsweetened cocoa powder in my chili. Chilis in adobo sauce (not too much, pretty hot) might help too. Or just some of the adobo sauce. It already has some vinegar in it.

Last edited:
This was the recipe

Ingredients

• 2 pounds ground beef
  • 4 (14.5 ounce) cans kidney beans
  • 4 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) bottle beer
  • 1 (12 ounce) bottle tomato-based chili sauce
  • 1 large white onion, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Ah. The chili sauce is sweet too.

Maybe take a bit of your chili out, make some of the additions suggested in small amounts, and see what happens. Otherwise you could turn it into Sloppy Joes, with additional sweetener like ketchup or molasses.

So sorry it wasn't to your liking. That is a big batch. You could portion it out, freeze, and use in soups, stews, etc. Chili also almost always tastes better the next day.

Green onions, sour cream, cheddar cheese toppings?

Last edited:
I hope you can save this batch of food.

I recommend you toss this recipe and use a good chili recipe. Check out the International Chili society website. They publish the championship winning recipes there.

I added some vinger and more chli powder and is not too bad

Tommorow we will see how it taste

Thanks for all you advise

Ed

Simmer the chili at low heat , then add a whole peeled potato to it , the potato may absorb the sweetness. I have used this method to reduce heat , it may work to absorb the sweetness! I have also added corn meal to absorb heat.

Last edited:
specmat said:
I added some vinger and more chli powder and is not too bad

Tommorow we will see how it taste

Thanks for all you advise

Ed

So glad it turned out better, Ed! It may surprise you tomorrow, in a good way!

Last edited:
Simmer the chili at low heat , then add a whole peeled potato to it , the potato may absorb the sweetness. I have used this method to reduce heat , it may work to absorb the sweetness! I have also added corn meal to absorb heat.

Potatoes don't selectively absorb sugar or salt or heat, etc.

They aren't that smart. They just absorb liquid. You achieve the same effect by dipping out some of the liquid.

They do add some starch so you could quickly add some masa to your batch but that's not going to appreciably cut down on the sweetness.

As others have stated, the problem is with your recipe. Next time use a better one. :)

1/4 cup of sugar seems excessive to me. I never add sugar to my chile, sometimes a little bit of cinnamon ( 1/2 tsp at the most). I think the only way to salvage the current batch is add more tomatoes, and other spices and herbs. You can always freeze leftovers.

I also never add sugar to my chili. You can try adding cocoa and/or some unsweetened peanut butter. I like Trader Joe's brand that only has roasted peanuts and salt. Just a little bit at a time stir well cook a few minutes than taste and add more if neede. Peanut butter also add a nice richness.

I am wondering if the 1/4 cup sugar was a typo and it should have been 1/4 tsp sugar?

I am wondering if the 1/4 cup sugar was a typo and it should have been 1/4 tsp sugar?

I also thought the amout of chili powder called for was a typo too. It isn't nearly enough for 2 pounds of meat and 4 cans of beans.

And 4 cans of tomatoes is way too much, if you ask me.

Chili sauce really has no place in chili. Its basically ketchup. Neither does sugar if youare using any tomato product.

And it doesn't have salt in it.

All in all a very odd recipe for "chili."

Let us know if you are interested and the folks here can probably give you a million other recipes.

Last edited:
I did a search because I was curious as everyone else at the amount of sugar and found another chili recipe that also called for 1/4 cup of sugar. The directions were...... Add sugar to taste, but be careful not to use too much. Chili becomes something else entirely if too sweet

That's a bit odd ^ Sugar to "taste" definitely wouldn't be 1/4 cup but then I dont add sugar to any tomato dishes, just a preference on my part.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom