"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
spot on rocket!!if you haven't got a slow cooker liam then just follow rocket's method & you won't go wrong.don't forget to tip in the juices that the rub extracts from the meat if you are marinating over night.last point is that i presume you are talking 225 farenheit rocket?we tend to use centigrade over this side of the pond which works out at about 110c.225c would be a hot oven over here
Oops, yes 225F Harry. Sorry about that. For some reason Canada is only half metric.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Why change the process? Cut the brisket into small cubes, brown the cubes in a hot dutch oven then proceed with your regular recipe. Same process using cubed brisket in place of mince. This way the meat absorbs the flavors of the other ingredients and tenderizes with the long cooking process.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Princess - The reason I wanted to use brisket was to have big strands of beef - similar to pulled pork. Pulled beef I suppose!

Thanks Rocket, that sounds good to me. I guess I should make a rub that reflects the spices I'm putting in the chilli.

Cheers Harry, I thought that sounded a bit hot!

I will let you all know how it works out! :)
Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsanders24 View Post
Princess - The reason I wanted to use brisket was to have big strands of beef - similar to pulled pork. Pulled beef I suppose!

Thanks Rocket, that sounds good to me. I guess I should make a rub that reflects the spices I'm putting in the chilli.

Cheers Harry, I thought that sounded a bit hot!

I will let you all know how it works out! :)
in which case ignore the fact that i typed oregano in the list of rub ingredients in my first reply and use ground cumin .i meant to type ground cumin but it came out as oregano.....mmmm...don't ask,don't know why....it just did!!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Oops, yes 225F Harry. Sorry about that. For some reason Canada is only half metric.
......on the other hand rocket, 225c for 10 hours would mean that liam would have some pretty damn good charcoal for his next bbq!!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I agree with those who said to braise the cut up pieces in the same pan as your chili will end up in.
I would cut it up small pieces and cover with water. (or beef stock) Salt and pepper.
Simmer until tender.
Then complete the chili making process.

Liam. In Cuban cooking, we make a dish called Ropa Vieja. (check spelling). It means "old clothes" in English.
A brisket or flank steak is braised until very tender. It is then shredded with a fork and mixed with spices and simmered again in the original stock. Its usually served over white rice.
I like it served on a fresh baguette or Cuban bread with hot sauce and potato sticks.

I feel like making it today!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
Head Chef

Chili con Jamie – Jamie Oliver’s chili con carne | Nilssons Ambrosia

This is a Jamie Oliver recipe that I have made although I am pretty sure I didn't use the coffee in it , but it was fab made with brisket .
Old 10-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I agree with those who said to braise the cut up pieces in the same pan as your chili will end up in.
I would cut it up small pieces and cover with water. (or beef stock) Salt and pepper.
Simmer until tender.
Then complete the chili making process.

Liam. In Cuban cooking, we make a dish called Ropa Vieja. (check spelling). It means "old clothes" in English.
A brisket or flank steak is braised until very tender. It is then shredded with a fork and mixed with spices and simmered again in the original stock. Its usually served over white rice.
I like it served on a fresh baguette or Cuban bread with hot sauce and potato sticks.
I feel like making it today!
Don't forget the yucca con mojo as a side. The mojo must be made fresh. Also you can make vaca frita from the same shredded beef.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Don't forget the yucca con mojo as a side. The mojo must be made fresh. Also you can make vaca frita from the same shredded beef.
Now were talkin Craig.

My fathers mojo was pork fat (renderings from the roast pork) heated to almost smoking, then he added chopped onions, garlic and fresh key lime juice.
Nice and healthy huh?

We always had mojo on top of the yucca. I love yucca.

Tell me about vaca frita.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Now were talkin Craig.

My fathers mojo was pork fat (renderings from the roast pork) heated to almost smoking, then he added chopped onions, garlic and fresh key lime juice.
Nice and healthy huh?

We always had mojo on top of the yucca. I love yucca.

Tell me about vaca frita.
This is a very stylized version, but consider the chef! There are many less involved recipes. One is from "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen" by Mary Urrita Rundleman (sp).

Vaca Frita with a Tropical Tuber Hash Cake and Caramelized Onions Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Tags
chili, brisket