Chili with Brisket!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liamsanders24

Assistant Cook
Hello!

I am planning on making some chilli (con carne) tomorrow evening and for a change I fancy using brisket instead of the usual minced beef.
I've got my chilli recipe refined to my liking and I am thinking about cooking the brisket seperately first, then pulling it apart and adding to the cooked sauce to heat through and let the flavours mingle, while keeping the beefy flavour.
Would this be a good idea, and if so, how would be best to cook (braise/roast?) or should I cook it all together in one pot?

Thanks!
Liam

Last edited by a moderator:
hi liam!
never cooked cccarne with brisket(i use diced(not minced) rump steak & pork) or cooked the meat separately.so thinking on me feet,if you want to cook the meat separately:
have you got a slow cooker?if so i would make up a dry rub,usual suspects,salt,pepper,sugar,chili powder,smoked paprika,garlic powder,onion powder,oregano etc etc,rub it into the brisket & leave it in the fridge overnight.bring it up to room temp tomorrow morning & pop it in your slow cooker all day on low with the liquid that the rub draws out..don't add any other liquid!.make up your chili sauce,pop in your pulled brisket & cooking liquor,reheat,done!!

Last edited:
Why not braise the brisket in the chili sauce? Then shred it, add it back and if you intend to be sacrilegious, add the beans.:angel:

I have used brisket in chili before and it is fantastic. I used my smoker and smoked the brisket, which gave a nice smoky flavor to the chili.

Thanks for the advice!

I don't have a slow cooker, but I like the idea of cooking it with a dry rub, then adding that to the chilli. What would be the best way to cook the brisket in the oven? Would roasting leave it too dry?

P.S. Beans aren't sacreligious, leaving them out is sacrelige!

I was thinking cutting it in the size pieces you want and browning it off in the chili pot, once browned, build your chili on top of that. That's how I do it when I use steak or other roast. You want that layer of flavor in the chili.

Thanks for the advice!

I don't have a slow cooker, but I like the idea of cooking it with a dry rub, then adding that to the chilli. What would be the best way to cook the brisket in the oven? Would roasting leave it too dry?

They way I have done it in the oven is smother your brisket in your favorite rub. Take a large onion and lice it in four 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick slices. Place the slices in a roasting pan and place the brisket fat side up on the onion slices. Pour beef broth in the pan so it is just below the bottom of the brisket. Cover with foil and slow roast at 225 for up to 10 hours depending on the size of the brisket. Once you have an internal temp of 190 it's done.

Thanks for the advice!

They way I have done it in the oven is smother your brisket in your favorite rub. Take a large onion and lice it in four 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick slices. Place the slices in a roasting pan and place the brisket fat side up on the onion slices. Pour beef broth in the pan so it is just below the bottom of the brisket. Cover with foil and slow roast at 225 for up to 10 hours depending on the size of the brisket. Once you have an internal temp of 190 it's done.
spot on rocket!!if you haven't got a slow cooker liam then just follow rocket's method & you won't go wrong.don't forget to tip in the juices that the rub extracts from the meat if you are marinating over night.last point is that i presume you are talking 225 farenheit rocket?we tend to use centigrade over this side of the pond which works out at about 110c.225c would be a hot oven over here

spot on rocket!!if you haven't got a slow cooker liam then just follow rocket's method & you won't go wrong.don't forget to tip in the juices that the rub extracts from the meat if you are marinating over night.last point is that i presume you are talking 225 farenheit rocket?we tend to use centigrade over this side of the pond which works out at about 110c.225c would be a hot oven over here
Oops, yes 225F Harry. Sorry about that. For some reason Canada is only half metric. :LOL:

Why change the process? Cut the brisket into small cubes, brown the cubes in a hot dutch oven then proceed with your regular recipe. Same process using cubed brisket in place of mince. This way the meat absorbs the flavors of the other ingredients and tenderizes with the long cooking process.

Princess - The reason I wanted to use brisket was to have big strands of beef - similar to pulled pork. Pulled beef I suppose!

Thanks Rocket, that sounds good to me. I guess I should make a rub that reflects the spices I'm putting in the chilli.

Cheers Harry, I thought that sounded a bit hot!

I will let you all know how it works out! :)

Princess - The reason I wanted to use brisket was to have big strands of beef - similar to pulled pork. Pulled beef I suppose!

Thanks Rocket, that sounds good to me. I guess I should make a rub that reflects the spices I'm putting in the chilli.

Cheers Harry, I thought that sounded a bit hot!

I will let you all know how it works out! :)
in which case ignore the fact that i typed oregano in the list of rub ingredients in my first reply and use ground cumin .i meant to type ground cumin but it came out as oregano.....mmmm...don't ask,don't know why....it just did:wacko:!!

Last edited:
I agree with those who said to braise the cut up pieces in the same pan as your chili will end up in.
I would cut it up small pieces and cover with water. (or beef stock) Salt and pepper.
Simmer until tender.
Then complete the chili making process.

Liam. In Cuban cooking, we make a dish called Ropa Vieja. (check spelling). It means "old clothes" in English.
A brisket or flank steak is braised until very tender. It is then shredded with a fork and mixed with spices and simmered again in the original stock. Its usually served over white rice.
I like it served on a fresh baguette or Cuban bread with hot sauce and potato sticks.

I feel like making it today!

I agree with those who said to braise the cut up pieces in the same pan as your chili will end up in.
I would cut it up small pieces and cover with water. (or beef stock) Salt and pepper.
Simmer until tender.
Then complete the chili making process.

Liam. In Cuban cooking, we make a dish called Ropa Vieja. (check spelling). It means "old clothes" in English.
A brisket or flank steak is braised until very tender. It is then shredded with a fork and mixed with spices and simmered again in the original stock. Its usually served over white rice.
I like it served on a fresh baguette or Cuban bread with hot sauce and potato sticks.
I feel like making it today!

Don't forget the yucca con mojo as a side. The mojo must be made fresh. Also you can make vaca frita from the same shredded beef.:yum:

Don't forget the yucca con mojo as a side. The mojo must be made fresh. Also you can make vaca frita from the same shredded beef.:yum:

Now were talkin Craig.

My fathers mojo was pork fat (renderings from the roast pork) heated to almost smoking, then he added chopped onions, garlic and fresh key lime juice.
Nice and healthy huh?

We always had mojo on top of the yucca. I love yucca.

Tell me about vaca frita.

Now were talkin Craig.

My fathers mojo was pork fat (renderings from the roast pork) heated to almost smoking, then he added chopped onions, garlic and fresh key lime juice.
Nice and healthy huh?

We always had mojo on top of the yucca. I love yucca.

Tell me about vaca frita.

This is a very stylized version, but consider the chef! There are many less involved recipes. One is from "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen" by Mary Urrita Rundleman (sp).

Vaca Frita with a Tropical Tuber Hash Cake and Caramelized Onions Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom