"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I freeze the leftovers from the can in as small ziploc bag, squeezing as much air out as possible. When I need some, I just take the frozen chunk out and lop off a piece. These freeze and keep very well for a long time.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:08 PM   #12
Master Chef

I stick mine in an ice cube tray and freeze, then pop into a ziplock baggie. They are a quite strong flavor and one or two go a long way.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:32 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Great idea Claire. Now why didn't I think of that? That way you can freeze one pepper and some sauce and just pop cube into the pot when you need it. Hmmmm. Duh!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #14
Master Chef

Great thread! I've wanted to try them in a fiesta dish but knew I'd end up wasting the rest. Now I will def. give them a try.
I like my food a little spicy......I don't want my eyes to water or anything......and DH only likes a hint of spice. How much of the pepper and sauce should I use when adding it to a dish? I was thinking maybe 1/2 a pepper and a little of the sauce.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Great thread! I've wanted to try them in a fiesta dish but knew I'd end up wasting the rest. Now I will def. give them a try.
I like my food a little spicy......I don't want my eyes to water or anything......and DH only likes a hint of spice. How much of the pepper and sauce should I use when adding it to a dish? I was thinking maybe 1/2 a pepper and a little of the sauce.
I don't know what a fiesta dish is, but here's a way to get a sense of a chipotle without too much risk. Make a bean dip, or open a jar of one you're familiar with. Gradually add chipotle 'till you get to what you think he'd like, then divide in half and add more to the second half 'till you're satisfied. Encourage him to try both and maybe have a little mild sour cream dip also. Dairy helps put out the fire.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I don't know what a fiesta dish is, but here's a way to get a sense of a chipotle without too much risk. Make a bean dip, or open a jar of one you're familiar with. Gradually add chipotle 'till you get to what you think he'd like, then divide in half and add more to the second half 'till you're satisfied. Encourage him to try both and maybe have a little mild sour cream dip also. Dairy helps put out the fire.
I was thinking Fiesta Fajitas and meant to put just fajita . I think I'll start out with half of one or maybe a whole one and a little of the sauce and see how he does with that. Then move up if needed. Thanks for the tip though. Unfort., he doesn't like bean dips. The sour cream dip is an idea though.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 AM   #17
Master Chef

Skilletlicker - I know what you mean about saving small jars. I can't seem to EVER throw one away, much to the chagrin of my husband. They're just SO useful. I not only use them for chipotles, but also for leftover anchovies (covered with olive oil), dollops of tomato paste that I know I'm going to use in a few days, etc., etc.

I also use them - & I don't mean to gross anyone out - to iodinize the umbilical cord area of newborn foals. Of course I sterilize them first & throw them out afterwards, but they are the PERFECT size for this.

And - to get back to food - I also agree that if you're new to using chipotles to add a little at a time. Not only because of the heat, but because of the smokiness. Too much can really overpower a dish.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
I freeze the leftovers from the can in as small ziploc bag, squeezing as much air out as possible. When I need some, I just take the frozen chunk out and lop off a piece. These freeze and keep very well for a long time.
Yeppers. That's what I do too.

You can also freeze leftover tomato paste in a thin sheet and break off how much you need.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #19
Executive Chef

This stuff is amazing. When I first discovered it 6 or 7 years ago I was going crazy with it. Vinaigrettes, aiolis, beurre blancs, demi glaces...you name it I was trying to incorporate the chipotles in it.

Here's an old recipe of mine that I still love to eat and make every so often. Every place that I've worked at and ran it as a special, I had to prep extra because the staff kept eating it.

Grilled Pancetta Wrapped Shrimp with Chipotle-Tomato Jus

Old 06-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I freeze mine in small plastic tubs, but I like the ice-cube tray idea better! I also freeze leftover roasted bell peppers, as I never seem to need a whole jar of those either!

Paint.

Tags
adobo