Chocolate Beetroot Brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creative

Head Chef
Anyone tried this? There are lots of recipes for it but I am wondering what they taste like, i.e. what do they add to a chocolate brownie?

Anyone tried this? There are lots of recipes for it but I am wondering what they taste like, i.e. what do they add to a chocolate brownie?
Sounds like a relative of the original red velvet cake.

Beetroot and chocolate compliment each other well. I don't like carrot cake but I do like red velvet cake made with Beetroot. Does that help?

Vegetables in cake and puddings goes back to when sugar was expensive or, during 2 world wars, rationed and carrots and beetroot, among other veg, were used to provide sweetness. I still include grated carrot in my Christmas puddings.

A local cafe ,which has now closed, used to serve a courgette, pistachio and lime cake which was divine. I'm on the look out for the recipe.

Ah thanks Mad Cook. I guess they'd work together but would like to know how it affects the taste...but I realise that may be hard to describe.

Well I was hoping that the beetroot would lessen the sugar content in chocolate beetroot brownie recipes I have seen, however, the sugar content is still very high. I have had to reduce the sugar content in brownie recipes that I have kept, else they tend to overpower the taste of chocolate for me.

I have a great recipe for chocolate brownie using prune puree if anyone is interested in that. Works very well i.e. as a sugar substitute and adds great flavour.

Yes I love carrot cake although that has no chocolate.

A million years ago when I was in 4H, I made a chocolate cake with beets (a couple of jars of baby food!) to the State Fair. I won a blue ribbon.

A million years ago when I was in 4H, I made a chocolate cake with beets (a couple of jars of baby food!) to the State Fair. I won a blue ribbon.
Well done...so...what I am trying to find out by starting this thread is how it tastes, i.e. what does the combination of beetroot with chocolate taste like? I realise it may be hard to describe though.

I guess I could just go ahead and make some but I am not sure I would like it, hence why I am trying to find out here.

I haven't tried beetroot and chocolate but love the flavor of roasted beets and don't have them nearly enough. I may just give a chocolate/beet dessert a try, as I imagine the rich flavor of beets will complement the chocolate quite well. So many people turn up their noses at beets because all they've ever had are canned or jarred pickled beets. They don't know what they are missing.

If we end up going to grocery today, I've found a flourless chocolate cake/beet recipe I want to try. No refined sugar, only honey and the sugar in the beets. Almost a guilt-free cake.

I also found this and will probably give it a try too Chocolate & Balsamic Roasted Beets - Vegan Recipe - Cooking Stoned if we like the cake.

The cake recipe is in grams and cm but I've already converted for this side of the pond and rewritten it so the recipe is ready to post on here if it's good.

If we end up going to grocery today, I've found a flourless chocolate cake/beet recipe I want to try. No refined sugar, only honey and the sugar in the beets. Almost a guilt-free cake.

I also found this and will probably give it a try too Chocolate & Balsamic Roasted Beets - Vegan Recipe - Cooking Stoned if we like the cake.

The cake recipe is in grams and cm but I've already converted for this side of the pond and rewritten it so the recipe is ready to post on here if it's good.
Yes, as mentioned in my OP, I know there are lots of recipes for Chocolate Beetroot Brownies. What I am trying to avoid is (a) going to the bother of making it and finding I don't like the taste or (b) buying it with the same result.

If I could buy just one slice of it that might solve the issue....in the absence of anyone here being able to answer the reason why I started this thread, i.e. can anyone describe what chocolate beetroot brownie tastes like - notably, how it differs from chocolate brownie?

Make some and find out. Everyone's tastes are different anyway. =) It's not like you're going to be out hundreds of dollars by giving them a try.

Besides, even if someone else posted about how they loved them that absolutely does not mean that you will.

(PS Like I said, my 4H days were a million years ago. I don't remember enough about them to describe them in the way you're looking for but they were good enough to win a blue ribbon...)

Make some and find out. Everyone's tastes are different anyway. =) It's not like you're going to be out hundreds of dollars by giving them a try.

Besides, even if someone else posted about how they loved them that absolutely does not mean that you will.

(PS Like I said, my 4H days were a million years ago. I don't remember enough about them to describe them in the way you're looking for but they were good enough to win a blue ribbon...)
It's not a question of money - I hate to waste food, i.e. if I can't eat it. Also it is a lot of bother (time and effort) just to chuck something away should I not like it. I realise that if someone says they like them it doesn't follow that I will. You miss the point but I understand you cannot help me.

All I am asking for is a description of the flavour.For instance, does the beetroot flavour come through? If not, how does it change the taste of the chocolate?

Last edited:
It's not a question of money - I hate to waste food, i.e. if I can't eat it. Also it is a lot of bother (time and effort) just to chuck something away should I not like it. I realise that if someone says they like them it doesn't follow that I will. You miss the point but I understand you cannot help me.

All I am asking for is a description of the flavour.For instance, does the beetroot flavour come through? If not, how does it change the taste of the chocolate?
Sweetness mainly. The chocolate over-powers any "earthy" taste of the beetroot. At least it does for me. Could you perhaps try half the mix as cupcakes. Then if you don't like the result you could give them away to a friend or neighbour.

Sweetness mainly. The chocolate over-powers any "earthy" taste of the beetroot. At least it does for me. Could you perhaps try half the mix as cupcakes. Then if you don't like the result you could give them away to a friend or neighbour.
Ah great thanks. That's what I wanted to know. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom