"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
Cook

Hi Thanks for this. The aluminium ones will take the heat but this silicon one claims to stand up to 260C and does not affect the taste of the food

Kitchen Craft Colourworks Silicone Cupcake Cases, Pack of 12: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Will try this all out next weekend and let you know the results with recipes. We need a separate recipe forum section really.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
Will try this all out next weekend and let you know the results with recipes. We need a separate recipe forum section really.
You mean like this? http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f5/

Old 09-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
Sous Chef

If I have imagined the project correctly, please let us know which method works. I can't figure a way to bake a cupcake in a chocolate cup without the chocolate cup (the kind used with cream fillings) melting into a puddle during baking as soon as it hits about 100 degrees. Have you thought about dipping the cooled, baked cupcakes into chocolate and then inserting them back into the ridged cups to cool and harden? Interesting project.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

What he is trying to do is make a chocolate candy like cup in the shape of a paper cupcake liner that goes into the cupcake tin before you put in the batter. No actual cupcake involved. He will then fill the cups with candies, prizes, etc.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:40 AM   #15
Master Chef

Desmond, I searched Youtube for "Chocolate Dessert Cups" and got a lot of video hits. I did watch one because it showed how to make them in the shape of a bowl and how to form the base so that the bowl doesn't roll around. If you want the shells shaped like cupcake papers, I would think spraying the outside of an aluminum cupcake "paper" would work, although keeping the shape while dipping might pose a challenge. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #16
Cook

Hi thanks' for this.
What I thought of doing is this.

Get a silicon cup cake holder as in my link above to one of them. It claims to stand oven temperatures up to 260c. I would only go up to 200c.

place some chocolate in a small glass bowl and put in a microwave for a short time. Saves on cleaning out saucepan's and can be re heated as required with more chocolate

Using a child's paint brush, paint the inside of the silicon holder leaving the top 1/8 inch free then put in fridge for about 20 minutes to harden.

Repeat 3 or 4 times to make it thick.

Get a good recipe for chocolate cake and spoon into the cup cakes still in the silicon.

Follow cooking instructions in my combo microwave.

Leave to cool in a fridge. Because we I did not paint all the way to the top of the silicon, I can peel it back better.

I am a novice to this sweet cooking ( I have lots of curry recipes), and I can't multitask but feel that this would work.

Have I lost the plot?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

You are going to use the chocolate painted cupcake cups to bake cupcakes? The painted chocolate will melt and may not keep its shape.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You are going to use the chocolate painted cupcake cups to bake cupcakes? The painted chocolate will melt and may not keep its shape.
I would say the painted chocolate will melt and become one with the cupcake batter If you want to do this, you will need to make the chocolate cups and the cupcakes separately, then put the cooled cupcakes in the cups. They may or may not fit and might break the cups as you put the cupcakes in.

Another option would be to make them separately, then cut the cupcakes into cubes - or, to make it easier, just make a chocolate cake - and mix the cake pieces with pudding, whipped cream, or whipped mascarpone cheese, and fill the chocolate cups with the mixture. Or with just the cake pieces and put a dollop of whipped cream or something on top for garnish.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Desmond, I searched Youtube for "Chocolate Dessert Cups" and got a lot of video hits. I did watch one because it showed how to make them in the shape of a bowl and how to form the base so that the bowl doesn't roll around. If you want the shells shaped like cupcake papers, I would think spraying the outside of an aluminum cupcake "paper" would work, although keeping the shape while dipping might pose a challenge. Good luck!
We had dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse once and dessert was chocolate mousse in a chocolate dessert cup. OMG, so good!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #20
Cook

Ok thanks for that. I thought it might work. My original idea was to put cold creamy stuff into it afterward but was stuck for ideas. We have in Yorkshire Bette's cake shop. I could have a look for ideas.

I could do this separate and still paint.

Can anyone remember this. As a child (100 years ago), my mother used miniature oranges, bananas and apples. These were a soft sugary sweet that tasted like oranges, bananas and apples. If I go ahead with this it should be like a cream type cake placed inside the pre made chocolate cake. Any ideas?

Tags
cake, cakes, chocolate, cupcakes