Chocolate mousse texture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BerniniCaCO3

Assistant Cook
Hi!

So after the holidays, having made 1.5gallons of eggnog for family and friends, I had 2 cups heavy cream leftover.
It has been since 7th grade since I have made mousse, so I figured that would be a good use for my spare cream! Why not try it out again-- in 7th grade I followed a recipe out of joy of cooking, and for reasons never learned at the time due to lack of technique no longer remembered, my mousse had turned out like a milkshake.

I'm rather older now, and my results were quite the opposite: it was very hard indeed. Not entirely dense per se as it was whipped up, but far firmer than a pudding or a custard, which frankly surprised me, as it's nothing but a custard and some whipped cream.
It's been a while since I've seen mousse at a restaurant: is it supposed to be of a very firm texture?
If not, what would make it more pudding-like?

thanks!
-Bernard

It shouldn't be very firm - ideally, it should be a little more airy than a custard or pudding. Maybe you need to try a different recipe? I have a great recipe from America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated for Dark Chocolate Mousse - I can PM it to you if you'd like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom