Chocolate pretzels/ oreos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicole

Washing Up
Chocolate pretzels/oreos ?

Ok, This is a little late but for Valentines Day I was making chocolate pretzels and chocolate oreos for my oldest daughter to take to school for their treat. Three batches came out great but, the other four came out soggy as the oreos did. I'm wondering what happened and why only half of them came out like that. I added a little wax to the first three batches but, not the other batches and I am hoping that's what went wrong. I spent three hours making them and ended up at the candy store getting treat bags filled with candy for 25 children.

Last edited:
Nicole, what kind of chocolate did you use for dipping? Did you dip when the chocolate was still very warm? It should always cool a little first. And yes, adding parafin or some crisco does help the chocolate to set up and give it a little added shine. When you say soggy, what exactly do you mean? I'm envisioning a pile of mushy pretzle or cookie and just want to make sure I'm understanding right. :)

PA, when you bit into them you can tell that there was no crunch. The oreos when you pit into them, the cookie was very soft. I put them into the freezer to try and harden them up. They weren't soggy like wet soggy.

Gotcha. It could have been a lot of different things. Weather plays a huge part in candy making, dipping, etc. I'm not great on the science side of it so I'm sure Michael in FtW or Goodweed will be able to add to this too. I'm thinking maybe the humidity was too high, causing your pretzels and cookies to be soggy and the chocolate to not set up well. Also the oreos might have been stale to begin with. I know when they go stale they do get soft like you said. Also, try letting the melted chocolate cool a bit before using it. It's a fine line between keeping it from getting too cool so that it's still smooth enough to dip but not too hot.

Im hopeing it was the humidity. The oreos were just opened out of the pakage so I know they weren't stale. I thought when I dipped them into the chocolate that that's what made them soggy. My daughter loves these and I hope Micheal or Goodweed can help Or anyone who knows about this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom