Chocolate question :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bestkeptrs

Assistant Cook
I'm trying to put together something to send to my boyfriend for Valentine's Day, and so I was thinking about doing some simple truffles.
Question is, the ganache base is made using heavy cream, and it will take at least a week to ship to him. Is this going to be safe to eat, or will it go bad without proper refrigeration? Does anyone have any recommendations for small chocolate desserts made with non-spoiling ingredients?

Thank you so much!

Make a nut butter filling instead! Who doesn't love PB and chocolate? Search for "buckeye balls" but fully dip them in chocolate for a full chocolate. People LOVE them! You can also use nuts to make a cream, they won't spoil as quickly as the dairy cream, same goes for coconut cream.

Oh yes, and you could also puree dried fruit (for a filling) or simply dip dried fruit, cookies, etc., for a different chocolate experience.

Chocolate Truffles

Chocolate Truffles

These Truffles will last a lot longer they do not have the heavy cream

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Coatings (optional):
Finely chopped toasted nuts, flaked coconut, chocolate sprinkles, colored sprinkles, unsweetened cocoa powder, confectioners' sugar or colored sugars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate chips with condensed milk. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Chill 2-3 hours or until firm.
Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in any of the listed coatings.
Chill 1 hour or until firm. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

Variations:

Microwave: In 1-quart glass measure, combine chips and condensed milk. Microwave on full power (high) 3 minutes, stirring after 1 1/2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Proceed as directed above.

Amaretto: Omit vanilla. Add 3 tablespoons amaretto or other almond- flavored liqueur and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Roll in finely chopped toasted almonds.

Orange: Omit vanilla. Add 3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur. Roll in finely chopped toasted almonds mixed with finely grated orange rind.

Rum: Omit vanilla. Add 1/4 cup dark rum. Roll in flaked coconut.

Bourbon: Omit vanilla. Add 3 tablespoons bourbon. Roll in finely chopped toasted nuts.

Tip: Place individual Chocolate Truffles into gold/silver foil candy wrappers and arrange on a tray for decadent dessert tray. Or serve with a cup of after dinner coffee as a 'mini' chocolate treat.

Go to www cookingwithspices.joyof-cooking com

Thank you all for your quick responses! I will definitely be trying out some of these recipes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom