Chocolate Salty Balls for a school project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodfella8304

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, I have a school project in which I need to write an essay describing how to perform a task and then proceed to carry out said task.

I figured cooking something would be easy enough and enjoyable. I wanted to do something tasty and funny if at all possible. So, I picked Chocolate Salty Balls as seen on South Park. In the episode, Chef gives his recipe for the balls which is as follows:
  • two tablespoons of cinnamon
  • two or three egg whites
  • half a stick of butter, melted
  • stick it all in a bowl
  • stir it with a wooden spoon
  • mix in a cup of flour
  • a quarter of a cup of unsweetened chocolate
  • half a cup of brandy
  • a bag or two of sugar
  • just a pinch of vanilla
  • shape them and put them in a 350 degree oven
Now, I don't know very much about cooking, so my question is do you think that this recipe looks feasable? Obviously I'd use less sugar, but beyond that I don't know. Im looking for a thick batter I think, so that they would stay in ball shapes while cooking; I'm not sure if that is even possible.

Also, there is no salt in the recipe which is kind of weird considering the name, so I figured I could sprinkle some on top, or add a small amount to the mixture, some help there would be nice too.

Thank you for reading this lengthy post, I hope that you can help because this sounds like a fun project to me and I kind of need to do it and I would like to avoid any embarrassments.

I look forward to sharing the results.:chef:

I'm sure a baker will come along but in the meantime I'd question using the brandy. I'm not sure how old you are and don't know if you should omit that! I would hate to see you get suspended for getting your entire class a little tipsy - or at the very least, walking around with "brandy breath"!!! :LOL:

Welcome to DC. Why not just make Chocolate Balls for your school project. I agree with kitchenelf about the Brandy - how old are you and your class mates.

I am in 10th grade so I guess it be a good idea to omit the brandy, most people wouldn't like it anyway. shpj4, what "Chocolate Balls" do you mean, do you have a link or any more information? I kind of wanted to stay as true to the recipe in the song as possible so it could go along with it during my presentation, but I would definetly like to see other sources or anything to give me ideas.

I can't imagine a recipe that would work, by way of this song ( a whole bag of sugar?)
My guess is that you may get a nicer grade from your teacher, were you not to use that particular recipe, as it does have the alcohol reference. Perhaps you can find a much easier (and one that works) one here?

I remember having a similar request of my 10th grade English teacher. Not only were we to write the essays, but also carry them out in the classroom.
I made a banana split and got an A+. I also made a quick friend with a member of the football team when I let him eat it in class.:rolleyes: The worst one was the girl who tried to play "Stairway to Heaven" on her guitar.

I am not worried about the alcohol reference (I won't get in trouble for it)plus if I were to use this recipe I would use much less brandy if any at all.

Anyway, I found a recipe on the food network website: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_28950,00.html?rsrc=search
I don't think I like that one very much- it's a very large amount and the balls themselves are not chocolate, they are only chocolate covered.

I did a search on the disscuss cooking boards and came up with this http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f44/chocolate-coconut-balls-13024.html?highlight=chocolate+balls
Has anyone tried this? It looks good because the balls are chocolate based. I'm assuming the coconut and nuts are optional since they are not included in the directions. I would rather not use coconut, not 2 cups anyway, does anyone see any problems with leaving out the coconut?

Last edited:
First of all, goodfella - you have to realize that South Park is a satrical (some may say counter culture) cartoon ... and nothing (including Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls recipe) is to be taken literally (it's not Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray). You do realize that, don't you?

Matt Stone and Trey Parker are geniuses at taking the concept of AEsop's fables (a fantastic tale which eventually culminates in a moral lesson at the end) and bringing them into the 20th/21st Century.

Chef's recipe is actually somewhat "reminiscent" to an old southern chocolate sheet cake recipe (with more than just a few modifications).

Also - since baking is a basically "scientific" step-by-step process .. I really don't see how you can turn it into an "essay".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom