"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Head Chef

Chocolate trifle

I have a half a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting that is beginning to get a little dry. I thought I would use it for a trifle kind of thing. But I don't want to add alcohol to rehydrate it. What should I use?

Old 10-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I have a half a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting that is beginning to get a little dry. I thought I would use it for a trifle kind of thing. But I don't want to add alcohol to rehydrate it. What should I use?
There are a number of techniques you may use.

If you have a steamer, bring water to a low simmer and briefly steam your cake. The dry cake will absorb the steam and become moist.

You could poke holes in the cake using a fork. Since you have a chocolate cake, make some thick hot chocolate and allow it to cool to room temperature. Gently pour the chocolate over the cake. The holes will absorb the moisture and the chocolate will make your cake more flavorful. Don't do this if there's a thick layer of frosting over the cake as the frosting will impede the chocolate.

You could also use the cake to make a trifle. Cut the cake into bite sized pieces. Drizzle the pieces with maraschino cherry liquid. Layer the pieces in a parfait cup or custard dish with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, chocolate mousse, and maraschino cherries.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Master Chef

Grenadine syrup would work nicely

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote