"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-10-2004, 01:13 AM   #11

What about "avocado's"...these are supposedly packed with chloresteral, (lonely amongst plants, in this regard!)?

Outside of "polar bear livers", I have not heard it possible to "OD" on Vitamin "A", let alone "carrots", and of course Vitamin C is supposedly "perfect" in that any supplement you take that exceeds the bodily demand, you just "pee" away...

Not sure about Vitamin B, thats sort of "cereals" isn't it?...

So sorry that I had NO CLUE that Becel was only on offer in Canada!

A fantastic product, and wish it was on offer there, but you'veexplained the reason why I keep "bleating" about it, and the USA respndents react so....well, "differently"...

Lifter

Old 12-10-2004, 01:31 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
What about "avocado's"...these are supposedly packed with chloresteral, (lonely amongst plants, in this regard!)?
Avacados are VERY high in fat calories - one cup is 1,927 calories, 218g fat with 25g saturated - but 0.00% cholesterol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
Outside of "polar bear livers", I have not heard it possible to "OD" on Vitamin "A", let alone "carrots", and of course Vitamin C is supposedly "perfect" in that any supplement you take that exceeds the bodily demand, you just "pee" away...
When people go on a "diet" that causes an imbalance somewhere - it's possible to overload on something. Are you aware that you can kill someone from making them drink too much water?

Old 12-10-2004, 08:18 AM   #13

Lifter, check this site out at Harvard. Is Margarine Really Better Than Butter
Old 12-10-2004, 08:32 AM   #14

I don't know what anybody else will chose to do, but I intend to keep eating butter, lard, bacon fat, olive oil, etc.... til the cows come home or til I expire because I like flavorful food.

Julia Child did also, and she lived a long good life.

Since my family tends to live long and prosper, and have eaten these things all their lives, I think I will do ok.

Worrying about it will shorten your life you know.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:35 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I don't know what anybody else will chose to do, but I intend to keep eating butter, lard, bacon fat, olive oil, etc.... til the cows come home or til I expire because I like flavorful food.

Julia Child did also, and she lived a long good life.

Since my family tends to live long and prosper, and have eaten these things all their lives, I think I will do ok.

Worrying about it will shorten your life you know.
Very well said! I agree with you 100%! My g-ma is 85(or is it 86)yrs. old & she grew up in a time & place where everything was cooked with lard, bacon fat, &/or fat back. She still uses those things to cook with today.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:44 AM   #16
Master Chef

I think moderation is key: Healthy eating, interspersed with "treats" and moderate exercise when possible. I use butter and olive oil and never use margarine. I figure, while still not completely good for us, they're the lesser of the evils. Eating should be a pleasure in life and I won't sacrifice the pleasure and enjoyment derived from it in the name of "perfect" health. A little EVOO or butter on vegetables is better than no veggies at all!
Old 12-10-2004, 08:57 AM   #17
Senior Cook

If it does not have feet, it does not have cholesterol.

I use everything, butter, olive oil, lard, margarine, whatever makes the recipe the best, but MOST of the year we just use Smart Balance and Olive oil.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:02 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by debthecook
If it does not have feet, it does not have cholesterol.
I'll have to remember that! Do you mind if I use it sometime?
Old 12-10-2004, 09:02 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Its all public information. Use me!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 09:04 AM   #20
Master Chef

Deb, I'm so glad that you are useable!