"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I think I'm the weird one again - I take my herbs and put them in a small but deep bowl and chop, chop, chop with my kitchen shears - anyone ever do it this way?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Ditto Andy M, hold the bunch by the stems in one hand, and using your knife "shave" off the leaves. Takes 2 seconds.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
Master Chef

The only herb I use my kitchen shears on is chives. Speaking of kitchen shears I need to put that on my shopping list because when my oldest brother was down he'd broke mine and I have yet to replace them because I continue to forget.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I like the mezzaluna the hand cranked grinder is horrible it just mushes the herbs.If I need alot of chopped parsley or cilantro I use a food processor.I wash and dry them the best I can then process to consistancy you want the I lay out several sheets all one piece and lay the herbs out and spread them out to dry a little so they dont get soggy then I fold a piece of paper towel in a plastic container and put in the herbs put another layer in the middle more herbs and a layer on top put on lid and into fridge.They can keep up to a week this way and stay fresh.
I do this for my job in Texas as I use these all weekend long and they are ready for anything.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #15
Master Chef

Another vote for using the stems - so long as they're young & tender.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #16
Senior Cook

If the stem is green and crispy (lovage, parsley, cilantro, dill) just leave it.

If it's woody, you can just pull off the leaves all at once by holding the top end between your thumb and forefinger, and grasp just below that with the same fingers of the opposite hand, and let that hand strip the leaves as you pull with the first hand.

If it's a soft green stem, as in new growth, then you're just in for a a tough job.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Talking Quick Herb Chopping

If I'm in a rush to chop herbs I'll hold two large knives together, handle to handle, then just chop as normal. The two blades make short work of the herbs!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #18
Master Chef

As far as the actual chopping goes, if I just need a a couple of tablespoons, I hand-chop. If I need more than that, then I use my little "mini" Cuisinart. Just a couple of pulses & it's done.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I cut the bottom third of a bunch of parsley or cilantro ( the part where the stems are bare) wrap them in cheesecloth and use them in soups. The stems have tremendous flavor and I don't have to use up my parsley or cilantro, which I always have on hand. I never cut the leaves off of the rest of the bunch but I find that chopping with a chef's knife does a great job and it's quick. For some odd reason, when I chop herbs in my mini-Cuisinart, they seem to lose a lot of the aroma and flavor.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I tried the trick of holding the bunch of parsley or cilantro in one hand and combing it with a dinner fork with the other to remove the leaves...Works pretty well, but I do love to use the young tender stems. The only thing I don't use the stems in is when I make chicken stock, they seem to leave a slight green color to the stock..It doesn't hurt anything just looks funny to me..Anyone else notice this?
kadesma