Chorizo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) Im sorry! How ever you still need to check the ingredients on back of package some brands have less gunk then others and its really what your willing to eat.Im not saying its a bad thing I just can not do it myself ,kinda along that menudo thing.However again I must say Mexican chorizo is loaded with flavor.Its pretty easy to humor our taste prejudices in America.

Bangbang said:
I don't loke it.....would rather have pepperoni.

Well here's the deal... the spanish cured stuff is like bad pepperoni so I honestly dont blame you. The Mexican (especially northern) is more like finely ground meat with vinager, peppers and all that. This you may or may not like but it's very difficult to compare to pepperoni, so if you havent tried it I recomend the experience.

I often "cheat" the flavor by just mixing the ingredients listed above. You really dont need the "sausage casing" since chorizo is almost always crumbled in mexican cooking.

Lugaru said:
Well here's the deal... the spanish cured stuff is like bad pepperoni so I honestly dont blame you. The Mexican (especially northern) is more like finely ground meat with vinager, peppers and all that. This you may or may not like but it's very difficult to compare to pepperoni, so if you havent tried it I recomend the experience.

I often "cheat" the flavor by just mixing the ingredients listed above. You really dont need the "sausage casing" since chorizo is almost always crumbled in mexican cooking.

Got a recipe?

I would probably do it this way:

1 pound of meat (finely shredded pork but ground meat, even beef... is acceptable given how spiced it is).

Im trying to figure out a good chilli substitute so Im guessing chilli powder will do. Anything that's pure, odorous and red. Use LOTS of it. From your posts though I've figured you know your way around a pepper so If you can get guajillo peppers that's the exact thing.

1/4 cup of vinager.

about 4 tooths, toes or whatever of garlic. Mashed.

And... that's it. If you see the need you can add a little fat depending on what meat you are using. Either way I would suggest food processing everything together and at this point they can be stuffed into some intestine (or any other sausage wrappers). Of course no one has the time for this so I recomend just tupperware it for a while so the flavors sink in and fry it up.

Best uses is fried with eggs, in burritos with chopped potatoes and as filler for a quesadilla. As it has a lot of flavor and color you dont need much...

here, bang. rainee posted this on page 1 of this thread.

Chorizo

1 pound pork loin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder

This is one of the few sausages that uses LEAN pork.

Grind pork into hamburger-like consistency.

Mix all ingredients into pork.

It is VERY important to let this sit overnight so the spices and vinegar blend into the meat.

Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.

Chorizo is very good fried with scrambled eggs.

First fry the chorizo in a little oil and then mix in the scrambled eggs and continue to fry until done. Try rolling this mixture into a flour tortilla for a burrito.

Tamales and Chorizo have pork meat but the way it is prepared is very different.
I'm mexican, if you want the real recipes I could e-mail them to you.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Better check ingredients of mexican raw chorizo it has alot of nasty little thing in it like glands etc.Tastes great anyway.

Honestly, if your squeamish about these kind of things, you should stay away from commercial "ground beef", all sausages, hot dogs, spam, etc.

Someone mentioned frying up some Chorizo with potatoes and using that for a filling. I also liked the idea about frying Chorizo and adding eggs for breakfast burritoes. I may combine both ideas here soon and give it a whirl.

Mmmm...I love chorizo. Chorizo contains lots of spices similar to the ones used to spice up the ground pork, beef and chicken fillings for tamales. We live so close to the border of Mexico that people down here have almost perfected the Mexican delicacy of chorizo. It can be cooked in many different ways: with eggs for breakfast, with cheese wrapped in corn tortillas, meatloaf, tamales, bean soups/dishes, etc, etc. Here's the website for more info about it's contents: http://chorizosanmanuel.com/

Allen, I always add diced, cooked potatoes to the chorizo and eggs. Then I put shredded cheese (your choice) on top and roll up in a tortilla for a good meal on the run.

AllenMI said:
Someone mentioned frying up some Chorizo with potatoes and using that for a filling. I also liked the idea about frying Chorizo and adding eggs for breakfast burritoes. I may combine both ideas here soon and give it a whirl.

My nephew in law told me to do this. This is how they do their breakfast with warm tortillas and hot sauce.

Back
Top Bottom