Chorizo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Today was my first experience eating this and I love it. The flavor reminded me of Tamales though. Do tamales contain this meat?

Tamales can contain a little chorizo, but they generally do not. At least in my experience.

Yes Jennyma, there are the Mexican and Spanish varieties.

I sorta prefer the Mexican variety, which we can get, because it of its texture and the spices that are usually included.

Have not been in Mexico for many years, but the tamales I used to have there did not seem to be made from chorizo.

Thats it Bucky .....Chorizo. I plan to experiment with this now that I've discovered I love it. Thanks everyone!

What reminded you of the tamales is that many tamales use Guajillo peppers to season the meat inside, which is a very flavorful and aromatic pepper.

Chorizo (the mexican variety as stated) is defined by being raw (uncured) having guajillo and vinagre in it. My favorite uses is to fry it up and put it in quesadillas, to fry some with diced potatoes and make burritos or as "seasoning" for refried beans.

Chorizo

Chorizo

1 pound pork loin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder

This is one of the few sausages that uses LEAN pork.

Grind pork into hamburger-like consistency.

Mix all ingredients into pork.

It is VERY important to let this sit overnight so the spices and vinegar blend into the meat.

Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.

This is best just crumbled and pan fried for various Mexican recipes.....tacos, enchilada, tamales, etc.

Last edited:
Good point, jennyema--it's the cured kind you need. The meat department in our grocery store carries it on a regular basis. It's usually tucked in with the sausages. Hopefully you can find it there.

How about creating a green Chorizo.

Use mainly Publanos, tomatillo's, green onion's, garlic, salt, basil, and you can throw in a little pork.

It might even taste great with some green leafy lettuce in it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure what I bought exactly then? It was a long link of meat........the shape of a long, thin sausage. It say Chorizo and something else alongside it but I don't recall what that was. I was just so surprised when I saw it I snatched it up. Some of my stores are finally venturing out and carrying ingredients I'd only heard of but never tried so I'm enjoying the new experiences so far.

:) Better check ingredients of mexican raw chorizo it has alot of nasty little thing in it like glands etc.Tastes great anyway.

kleenex said:
How about creating a green Chorizo.

Use mainly Publanos, tomatillo's, green onion's, garlic, salt, basil, and you can throw in a little pork.

It might even taste great with some green leafy lettuce in it.

That's crazy.. and super awesome. I need to give it a try. Some time next week I'll fix up a batch and post the recipy if it works out for me, which I dont see why it shouldent.

Back
Top Bottom