Christmas Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It does sound wonderful. Now if I can get the proportions down to fit my little casserole.:ROFLMAO:

I guess I'd use

1/3# sausage, it's the proportion I have found right for casseroles. 1/2# is just too much.

1 small or 1/2 large onion sauted with

5 or 6 mushrooms

no peppers for me

I'd substitute Swiss cheese unless I have some Gruyere

couple diced slices of Rye bread, 12 grain bread, or seasoned croutons

3 or 4 eggs.

Hmm sounds nice. I think I'll try making this up Christmas Eve and cook it for breakfast Christmas day.

I like to put together a Breakfast Strata the night before so that all I have to do Christmas morning is to put it in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes covered and another 20 minutes uncovered. It serves 12 and I serve very simple sides of fresh melon, canteloupe, spinach, sliced heirloom tomatoes, and fresh squeezed orange juice:

...Saute 1lb of your favorite Breakfast Sausage (I use sausage with no nitrates), 1 Red Bell Pepper, and 2 Cups of sliced Cremini Mushrooms. Salt and Pepper to taste.

...Beat together 18 eggs, 1 tsp salt, and 1 Cup milk. Stir in 1 1/2 Cups of shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese.

...Butter a 13 X 9 baking dish and pour in a mix of the sausage/pepper/mushrooms and 8 Cups of 1"Cubed
Bread (Crusty French, Ciabatta, Italian, or any favorite bread...I use Rosemary Bread).

...Pour the egg/cheese/milk mixture over the sausage/breadcubes mixture and press down slightly so the bread soaks up the egg/milk.

this sounds a lot like the breakfast casserole, that i make. also do the night before. no mushrooms and a milder cheese. everyone loves it and the work is cut down for the a.m. :mellow::mellow:

yes, yes, yes I will give that a bash molly, do I just double the quantities for two;)
haha, bolas...that reminds me, I wanted to say that the 18 eggs sounds like a lot of eggs but you all have to remember that it serves 12. It's a very common dish here in the usa and it's fun to see all the variations. I like the idea of substituting swiss or gruyere for the cheddar. And I like the idea of using whole grain bread too. Thanks Zhizara and babetoo.

haha, bolas...that reminds me, I wanted to say that the 18 eggs sounds like a lot of eggs but you all have to remember that it serves 12. It's a very common dish here in the usa and it's fun to see all the variations. I like the idea of substituting swiss or gruyere for the cheddar. And I like the idea of using whole grain bread too. Thanks Zhizara and babetoo.

I like using chorizo and jalapeno jack in mine!:)

I remember this question being asked long ago. We were always allowed to eat Christmas goodies if we wanted and usually had cinnamon rolls, doughnuts or similar treats for breakfast on Christmas - the only time I remember that happening. Sometimes now we have a cooked breakfast and sometimes whatever we'd like.

Back
Top Bottom