Christmas dinner :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partialD

Assistant Cook
Hello- well i'm 25 and have a big enough place now to host the christmas dinner and so it has become my turn, much to my delight and i am really getting in the mood - got big plans to really make it one to remember with a special wellington centre piece :)

any ways my woe is - i would like to do this dish as my step mother and step sister are from Russia so i thought would be nice to do one of the courses a traditional Russian dish

Herring Under Fur Coat (Herring Salad) Recipe | My Homemade Food Recipes & Tips @EnjoyYourCooking.com

my problem is the amount of mayonnaise used, agreed i can reduce the amount on each layer compared with this one-but maybe there are some good ideas in the learned cooks out there who could have an idea what would work.

And a very merry christmas to you all :)

Schmaltz herring is v/salty so the quantity of mayo with the veg balances that. It is a great dish, my Georgian Uncle made it for us, we drank Bison.

It ought to be against the law to discuss Christmas dinner before Thanksgiving dinner has finished digesting! :LOL:

That looks like a very interesting salad, and I just might give it a try. Glad to hear you have enjoyed it Bolas, as I like to have a friends recommendation :)
I would use pickled herring (love the stuff). Some of the tips looked good on the recipe site, like doing it in a pie plate, and using hard cooked egg slices on top before serving. I think my family would really enjoy this for a special occasion.

Welcome to DC, PartialD........you'll like it here.

Every year after Xmas, my mother would make herring salad with the leftover pickled herring. She made it with cooked, diced beets, mayo, chopped herring, and maybe some celery and green onions. Then she gave it to me and my sister on sandwiches in our lunch packs. We both hated it. Can you imagine trying to explain a fuschia, fish salad sandwich to North American kids. :ohmy: :eek:

Every year after Xmas, my mother would make herring salad with the leftover pickled herring. She made it with cooked, diced beets, mayo, chopped herring, and maybe some celery and green onions. Then she gave it to me and my sister on sandwiches in our lunch packs. We both hated it. Can you imagine trying to explain a fuschia, fish salad sandwich to North American kids. :ohmy: :eek:

Actually it sounds really delicious TL, but I can imagine the kids turning up their noses at it. I think I'd like it with crackers

Actually it sounds really delicious TL, but I can imagine the kids turning up their noses at it. I think I'd like it with crackers

On crackers, at home, would probably have tasted better ;)

The sandwiches were made on one slice of "rugbrød" (Danish, heavy rye bread, which is yummy)

rugbrod_annes_1000.jpg

and one slice of Wonder, whole wheat bread :ROFLMAO:

That bread looks like it would be perfect with it, but doubt I could find it and I don't bake. Rye Crisp Crackers would be nice I think.

If you have any stores that sell German food, you can probably find it. It's called "roggenbrot" in German. The problem with baking it yourself is trying to slice it in 2mm thick slices. We just buy the German one, even though I like the Danish one better. I don't know what the difference is, because it looks the same and has the same ingredients.

Rye Crisp would probably be better. We usually get RyVita brand of crisp rye bread. It's as good as Danish "knækbrød".

A word of warning Schmaltz herring is quite a bit different to pickled herring, try before you buy.

Schmaltz herring is v/salty so the quantity of mayo with the veg balances that. It is a great dish, my Georgian Uncle made it for us, we drank Bison.

Okay, well the plan is just to go with it- i'm doing an eight course meal soo if one or two of the courses don't turn out tasty for the family then there will be plnty of other niceness to be had :)

@SELKIE-apologies for the puncuality on Christmas questions, thanksgiving is not something we have in England - thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it :innocent:

Okay, well the plan is just to go with it- i'm doing an eight course meal soo if one or two of the courses don't turn out tasty for the family then there will be plnty of other niceness to be had :)

@SELKIE-apologies for the puncuality on Christmas questions, thanksgiving is not something we have in England - thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it :innocent:

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Really an interesting combo. And even though I am not Polish, I love most Polish cooking.

I have a restaurant I frequent when in the area called the "two sisters". I am still not sure either of them speak English.

But it does not matter. They make really good polish food, really cheap.

I would tell them I wish they were my aunts... I just don't know how to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom