"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Christmas dinner :)

Hello- well i'm 25 and have a big enough place now to host the christmas dinner and so it has become my turn, much to my delight and i am really getting in the mood - got big plans to really make it one to remember with a special wellington centre piece :)

any ways my woe is - i would like to do this dish as my step mother and step sister are from Russia so i thought would be nice to do one of the courses a traditional Russian dish

Herring Under Fur Coat (Herring Salad) Recipe | My Homemade Food Recipes & Tips @EnjoyYourCooking.com

my problem is the amount of mayonnaise used, agreed i can reduce the amount on each layer compared with this one-but maybe there are some good ideas in the learned cooks out there who could have an idea what would work.

And a very merry christmas to you all :)

Old 11-26-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Schmaltz herring is v/salty so the quantity of mayo with the veg balances that. It is a great dish, my Georgian Uncle made it for us, we drank Bison.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Executive Chef

It ought to be against the law to discuss Christmas dinner before Thanksgiving dinner has finished digesting!
Old 11-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
It ought to be against the law to discuss Christmas dinner before Thanksgiving dinner has finished digesting!
I agree!! However I think it's more about you clicking on the link, than a discussion of Christmas dinner.......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Master Chef

That looks like a very interesting salad, and I just might give it a try. Glad to hear you have enjoyed it Bolas, as I like to have a friends recommendation
I would use pickled herring (love the stuff). Some of the tips looked good on the recipe site, like doing it in a pie plate, and using hard cooked egg slices on top before serving. I think my family would really enjoy this for a special occasion.

Welcome to DC, PartialD........you'll like it here.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Every year after Xmas, my mother would make herring salad with the leftover pickled herring. She made it with cooked, diced beets, mayo, chopped herring, and maybe some celery and green onions. Then she gave it to me and my sister on sandwiches in our lunch packs. We both hated it. Can you imagine trying to explain a fuschia, fish salad sandwich to North American kids.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Every year after Xmas, my mother would make herring salad with the leftover pickled herring. She made it with cooked, diced beets, mayo, chopped herring, and maybe some celery and green onions. Then she gave it to me and my sister on sandwiches in our lunch packs. We both hated it. Can you imagine trying to explain a fuschia, fish salad sandwich to North American kids.
Actually it sounds really delicious TL, but I can imagine the kids turning up their noses at it. I think I'd like it with crackers

Old 11-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Actually it sounds really delicious TL, but I can imagine the kids turning up their noses at it. I think I'd like it with crackers
On crackers, at home, would probably have tasted better

The sandwiches were made on one slice of "rugbrød" (Danish, heavy rye bread, which is yummy)

and one slice of Wonder, whole wheat bread
Old 11-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Master Chef

That bread looks like it would be perfect with it, but doubt I could find it and I don't bake. Rye Crisp Crackers would be nice I think.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That bread looks like it would be perfect with it, but doubt I could find it and I don't bake. Rye Crisp Crackers would be nice I think.
If you have any stores that sell German food, you can probably find it. It's called "roggenbrot" in German. The problem with baking it yourself is trying to slice it in 2mm thick slices. We just buy the German one, even though I like the Danish one better. I don't know what the difference is, because it looks the same and has the same ingredients.

Rye Crisp would probably be better. We usually get RyVita brand of crisp rye bread. It's as good as Danish "knækbrød".