"Christmas Quiche" Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
So, as some of you will know, I started a new job a few weeks ago (which is going very well). They have a tradition there of having a "potluck" lunch just before Christmas, where everyone brings in something edible (some people cook, some bring in bought goods).

I said I would make a Quiche. But then a couple of colleagues challenged me to make it a "Christmas" themed Quiche!

So I am going to give it a go and will do a practice one this weekend. At the moment I am thinking of something involving "stuffing" (Sage and Onion), and also Brussels sprouts. (Obviously there will also be bacon and cheese as it wouldn't be a Quiche without those elements.)

For the Sage element, I wondered about grinding some dried sage with a pestle and mortar and adding it to the actual pastry. (I also have some fresh sage which I thought I might use to decorate the top).

Has anyone tried adding dried/powdered herbs to pastry?

Any thoughts on the sprouts? I was thinking of steaming them first and maybe quartering them, or maybe separating the leaves and sprinkling them through the filling? I don't want a very strong sprout flavour as sprouts are not loved by everyone. (The two people who challenged me both said I should put sprouts in however.)

For the onion element - shallots, white, or red onion? Whichever I use, it will be thoroughly caramelised beforehand so it is nice and soft and doesn't spoil the soft eggy filling.

The bacon will, (naturally) be smoked. :)

Sprouts and sage are both pretty strong flavours (as is smoked bacon) - but should I be thinking of something to sweeten/lighten the flavours? A tiny bit of lemon or orange zest maybe? (Zest is quite "Christmassy".) Or is that overkill?

So, for my test quiche this weekend:

1. Sage - in the pastry? Good plan or no?
2. Sprouts - leaves, quarters - something else?
3. Onions - what type?
4. Zest - yes or no? Or maybe just on top?
5. Any way I can include tomatoes (for a red accent)? Chopped sun-dried in the filling perhaps? Or slices on top?
6. Any other ideas?

I add ground cinnamon to my apple tart crust. I have used ground cloves and ground ginger in the crust for pear tart. It works fine. I have never tried with a savoury dish.

I'm thinking savoury flans/tarts may not be that common in North America Taxy! :LOL: Or maybe they are just called something different?

I would go with a quiche that displays red and green, maybe sun dried tomatoes and green onions (and forget sauteing them). Green and red peppers might work if you like peppers. I don't see much in your list that makes me think "Now that's a Christmas quiche!". Mine would be a basic swiss cheese, bacon, green onion quiche that my family likes with some added bits of red sun dried tomatoes and maybe, even some spinach.

I'm thinking savoury flans/tarts may not be that common in North America Taxy! :LOL: Or maybe they are just called something different?
They aren't uncommon. I'm just not a big fan of quiche. I do make a fabulous "tortière", which is a French Canadian meat pie. Hmm, maybe I'll try adding some of the sage to the pie crust next time. It's a Christmassy/wintery dish.

Possibly a cultural divide there Oldvine. Red peppers are lovely (and no doubt would work superbly), but they simply don't appear on a traditional UK Christmas dinner table. (Whereas few tables wouldn't include sprouts and sage and onion stuffing).

I'm sort of committed to the sprouts (since they were requested), which does rather limit my options.

I do get what you say about going with the red and green colour scheme though.

If the sprout version doesn't taste good this weekend, I may well revisit the whole "Colours of Christmas" theme for the next attempt!

You could always decorate it with cooked sprouts. Maybe give them a surprise and cut them in half and fry them in browned butter.

They aren't uncommon. I'm just not a big fan of quiche. I do make a fabulous "tortière", which is a French Canadian meat pie. Hmm, maybe I'll try adding some of the sage to the pie crust next time. It's a Christmassy/wintery dish.

That sounds interesting. (Not for my present challenge of course).

But how about a recipe for future reference?

You could always decorate it with cooked sprouts. Maybe give them a surprise and cut them in half and fry them in browned butter.

Fried sprouts are very tasty. This is not a bad idea at all Taxy! Anyone who doesn't like sprouts can just get rid of them!

(I can't do the "surprise" frying element at work - we have a small kitchen with a sink, fridge and microwave. ) But I wonder how the sprouts would work just as a "garnish" on top? Interesting.....

I google images 2 things -- christmas quiche and brussles sprouts quiche. Lots of pictures, and already I think you could do Better than what I saw.

I'm thinking if you include brussel sprouts, very lightly saute leaves, you could toss them in a litle butter and maybe add some lemon or lemon zest to the pan. Maybe the zest would stick to the brussel sprouts when you spoon them into the pie shell. Just like tucking in a little elusive extra taste. I would make a circle wreath on the top after it is filled and before you close the oven door, make a wreath of fine snipped green onion tops. Pull a couple pimentos from an olive jar and strategically place some "holly" berries on the wreath. Alternately, use some quartered or sliced sun dried tomatoes.

I often just use green onion tops on all kinds of things, and use regular or red onion for the onion body parts. I think green onion bottoms are too "oniony" by themselves and don' always know what to do with them.

You could just lay a sprig of fresh sage in the center after its baked for a decorative garnish, maybe with a sprig of rosemary which looks kind of piney. Or a sprig of any green herb mix. And remnember flat leaf and curly leaf parsely is your friend. These stay put on top of a quiche instead of sinking too.

Alternates to brussel sprouts, spinach or chopped broccoli, Although I think your first set ideas do say the flavors of Christmas.

Maybe on your trial quiche, you could half, quarter and leaf some sprouts in different sections and see which work best in the quiche.

Mmm I love quiches, so any would be good w/ me, but it 's the presentation and challenge which seems to make this want to go over the top. Fun, eh?

Just for clarity. Whiskadoodle - when you say "green onion" do you mean what I would call "spring onion"? It has a long green stem with a tiny white "onion" bulb at the bottom?

Just for clarity. Whiskadoodle - when you say "green onion" do you mean what I would call "spring onion"? It has a long green stem with a tiny white "onion" bulb at the bottom?

Yes these are them. I like the tops, as I said.

The bulb seems too sharp for my tongue, esp in something that has layered flavors in a quiche, I want the bacon/ smoke taste, I like to saute a sweeter onion, some veggie or another, good swiss cheese and the silkiness of cream and eggs. well, a nice flaky crust too, but I don't always achieve that:ermm:

Maybe on your trial quiche, you could half, quarter and leaf some sprouts in different sections and see which work best in the quiche.

Mmm I love quiches, so any would be good w/ me, but it 's the presentation and challenge which seems to make this want to go over the top. Fun, eh?

It IS fun Whiska! When they said I should do it, I think they had no idea I was totally up for the challenge! :LOL:

A sectioned quiche had actually crossed my mind by the way - and now I think I will definitely do that!

Yes these are them. I like the tops, as I said.

The bulb seems too sharp for my tongue, esp in something that has layered flavors in a quiche, I want the bacon/ smoke taste, I like to saute a sweeter onion, some veggie or another, good swiss cheese and the silkiness of cream and eggs. well, a nice flaky crust too, but I don't always achieve that:ermm:

I thought so. Thanks for confirming. :)

I am a little daunted by the pastry. It is hard to get right. And while I feel fairly confident about a "normal" quiche filling, getting the ratios and flavours right for this "unusual" one is my personal challenge! (I don't want people to feel embarrassed eating it in front of me!) :ermm: (They are really nice people I work with so they will be polite, but I would much rather they genuinely liked it!) :LOL:

Is it a special pastry, or could you buy a ready made one?

From the "hearty" sounding filling, this recipe seems to be one that requires a pretty "sturdy" pasty case Taxy. We have what is called a "hot water crust" pastry here (for pork pies) and I wonder if that is the sort of pie crust that is mentioned in the recipe? (And no, I would have to make it - but there are plenty of recipes for it.)

Edit: Just realised you were talking about the Quiche and I was talking about the recipe you just sent! :LOL:

No. The pastry for the Quiche is just a standard shortcrust (savoury) pastry. But I really want to try adding the powdered sage to it to see how it turns out. :)

Last edited:
From the "hearty" sounding filling, this recipe seems to be one that requires a pretty "sturdy" pasty case Taxy. We have what is called a "hot water crust" pastry here (for pork pies) and I wonder if that is the sort of pie crust that is mentioned in the recipe? (And no, I would have to make it - but there are plenty of recipes for it.)

Edit: Just realised you were talking about the Quiche and I was talking about the recipe you just sent! :LOL:

No. The pastry for the Quiche is just a standard shortcrust (savoury) pastry. But I really want to try adding the powdered sage to it to see how it turns out. :)
:LOL: You wrote that you were "daunted by the pastry", so I thought maybe a store bought one would solve the problem.

The tourtière just takes a regular pie crust. You want it flaky enough that you can eat it with just a fork.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom