"Christmas Quiche" Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: You wrote that you were "daunted by the pastry", so I thought maybe a store bought one would solve the problem.

The tourtière just takes a regular pie crust. You want it flaky enough that you can eat it with just a fork.

I am not averse to a store-bought pastry from time to time - but this has to be all home made!

It's a matter of personal pride! :chef:

I'll post a pic of the first attempt over the weekend. (Good, bad or inedible). ;):LOL:

A quick search on "Christmas Quiche" brought up the recipe below, which looks very festive. I'm not suggesting you replace your ideas with this one, but I'm thinking that if you want your creation to LOOK as well as TASTE like Christmas, then the cherry tomato and rosemary design on top might do the trick.

A-Z Quiche: merry christmas quiche

100_2117.jpg

Well clean my glasses, will I ! I was hoping to see something like this when I googled a few hours ago. The one you show is the first one one I now see. The rest of them didn't look very seasonal. Inspirational that's what this shows, which is what Katy is asking. Good on you Steve.

I'm going to bed now.

haven't read every reply in detail.so i apologise in advance if someone has already mentioned cranberries,but i would use stewed cranberries(al denté so that they retain their shape)for the red element.what is more christmassy than cranberries??.for the green i would use lightly steamed "rings" of leak from the green part,steaming retains the colour.dried sage is disgusting imho,tastes nothing like the fresh leaf.so i would use fresh lemon thyme leaves in the pastry to give a zesty lift & fry fresh sage leaves,for seconds only,to retain their colour & crisp them up.use those as decoration/flavour.
for the onion i would use caramelised rings of my beloved echalion shallots,lovely & sweet:yum:!!
that's my tuppenny worth for,ermmmm,what it's worth katers!!,good luck with the challenge matey,and remember,as bryan adams sang "winnin' really is the only thing"it really is,in my book too:boxing:!!
BRYAN ADAMS - WE'RE GONNA WIN - YouTube

Last edited:
chrimbo quiche part 2!!as far as the meat goes,i would buy some turkey mince(breast or thigh,you choose...ooh errr missus:ohmy::ROFLMAO:!!)& make some small turkey mince balls.i'd buy some good quality cumberland sausage(they have sage as part of the seasoning)split the casings & make the filling into sausage meat balls,same size as the turkey mince balls.then i'd cut up some dry cure sweet smoked streaky bacon,into lardons,fry them to render the fat & brown me balls(get's worse dunn'it?)in the bacon fat.so you then have the stuffing element(the cumberland sausage meat balls)the turkey element(the turkey mince balls) & it ain't chrimbo without bacon,so you have the bacon lardons.
taa dahh,done:cool:!!

Paxo stuffing ( sage and onion) makes a great quiche / tart casing Katy. Trust me, it just works. If you are keen I will post the recipe. I would then finely slice the sprouts and red onion and saute together. Saute off some chopped turkey breast and the bacon ( smoked naturally) and then layer up with the sprout/onion layer about half way up. As in layer of turkey, then sprout/onion, sprinkled bacon pieces and cover with the egg mixture and bake. Warm through some cranberry sauce and when the quiche is cool, just spoon a layer of the sauce over the top.
Serve with some cocktail sausages on the side............that's my idea anyway. Hope it helps?

I have a tradition of making a quiche every year with some of the leftover Thanksgiving turkey. Personally, I think only quiche Lorraine *requires* bacon. I make mine with sautéed diced yellow onion, diced turkey, roasted red peppers and Havarti cheese. I include thyme in the egg mixture, but sage would work just as well. Both go into my Thanksgiving stuffing.

Roasted red peppers may not be a traditional Christmas ingredient, but they have a milder flavor than fresh and look pretty in the quiche. I'm not a fan of sun-dried tomatoes; they're too leathery for my taste.

My mom likes to make quiche with Swiss chard, so there's another green option.

You could make a wreath on top with pastry leaves, herbs and chopped roasted red peppers or some little red fruit, like cherries or cranberries. All you need is a leaf-shaped cookie cutter: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pastry-garnish-10000000522630/

Last edited:
Interesting ideas, all of them. If I was making a Christmas quiche I'd have ham (traditional for Christmas) with sliced green scallions, and red sun dried tomatoes for the Christmas colors.

The last thing I'd ever use would be Brussel Sprouts, as they are one of the most hated vegetables in the world according to a google search, and I'd sure agree.

The last thing I'd ever use would be Brussel Sprouts, as they are one of the most hated vegetables in the world according to a google search, and I'd sure agree.

+1

And I didn't even need a Google search! But it sounds like Katy is determined to use them.

Last edited:
;) Here's a quotable quote for you Dawg and GG..

Brussels Sprouts- The Hannibal Lecter of food. This number one villain is downright sinister. Put it in your microwave and you will need a new one. Put it in your mouth you may never be the same. As I've gotten older, I've broadened my taste, I love asparagus on the grill, spinach in an omelet and broccoli in my salad. Brussels sprouts, as long as I live you will never win me over so just keep your vitamins A, C and folic acid because it's not happening, ever. :ohmy::LOL:

Brussels Sprouts- The Hannibal Lecter of food. This number one villain is downright sinister. Put it in your microwave and you will need a new one. Put it in your mouth you may never be the same. As I've gotten older, I've broadened my taste, I love asparagus on the grill, spinach in an omelet and broccoli in my salad. Brussels sprouts, as long as I live you will never win me over so just keep your vitamins A, C and folic acid because it's not happening, ever. :ohmy::LOL:

:LOL: Absolutely poetic, Kayelle! Love it!

However, our dear Katy is determined to use BS in her quiche. In which case, I am totally useless.

I have the definite impression that Brussels sprouts are more appreciated in the UK.

Without backtracking, didn't Katy say the two who requested the quiche also requested brussels sprouts be in it?
I've never eaten a quiche, so don't know what would make a good ingredient and what wouldn't, but if someone asked me to make something specifically for them I'd tend to cater to that person(s).

Without backtracking, didn't Katy say the two who requested the quiche also requested brussels sprouts be in it?
I've never eaten a quiche, so don't know what would make a good ingredient and what wouldn't, but if someone asked me to make something specifically for them I'd tend to cater to that person(s).
Katy did mention that sprouts had been requested.

Beautiful!!!

I have the definite impression that Brussels sprouts are more appreciated in the UK.

They are very much "Marmite" here too Taxy! :LOL: (you either love them or loathe them). But they just about always show up on a traditional Christmas meal table regardless!

Luckily, I like them very much!

Back
Top Bottom