Cider/Balsamic Vinegar ideas neeeded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaheen

Senior Cook
I recently bought a bottle of cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar. I've never made anything with them. I'd like to try out just about anything using these (except pork). Need your ideas and suggestions! :)

Balsamic vinegar is really good with a bit of olive oil and sprinkled on fresh, spinach salad. It's simple but one of the best ways to enjoy it's pungent flavour. It's also good served in a dish with a bit of olive oil and used as a sort of "dipping" sauce for garlic toast fingers. (simple appetizer)

Cider vinegar is quite versatile too, but different than balsamic. I make a really nice marinated bean salad with it:

Ingredients
1 can mixed beans (navy, kidney, chickpeas)
1 can kidney beans
1 can straight cut green beans
1 can straight cut yellow wax beans
1 medium onion, sliced thinly into half rings
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola (or other flavourless) oil
1 tsp celery salt
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Drain liquids from cans of beans and place in large mixing bowl. Add in sliced onions.

In a microwavable dish, microwave cider vinegar and sugar on medium/high for 20-30 seconds... just until warmed and sugar is starting to dissolve. Whilte stirring, add in the oil, celery salt and S&P and mix until things are starting to come together.

Pour marinade over the beans and mix until everything has been coated. Transfer to a large tupperware or other sealable container and leave in the fridge at least 12 hours to allow flavours to penetrate the beans.

- - -

That recipe is so simple and one of my absolute favourites. I often make it if I am feeling lazy but want something tasty for a potluck or something. it's always one of the first things to go!

Well, balsamic vinegar is made from the white Trebbiano grapes - and cider vinegar is made from apples. Part of my ancestry is German - so I use cider vinegar with a lot of pork dishes ... but I use it in other things, too. Balsamic I also use ... but since I'm just buying "commercial grade" which is thin I generally will simmer it down to a thick glaze consistency (like the real aged balsamic) and it works great when lightly drizzled over melon or strawberries or over poached or grilled fruits like pears, peaches, apricots.

Here are a few recipes that use vinegar that might give you some ideas.

I never buy vinaigrettes; instead, I make salad dressings all the time using balsamic vinegar. My ratios vary but I just mix the vinegar with 2-3 times as much evoo, a smashed clove of garlic or two, a dollop of Dijon mustard, brown sugar, salt and pepper. (Sometimes I add basil or parsley flakes) Put it in a tight locking container and shake until emulsified. I let it stand for a while to get the garlic flavor. Shake and serve on spinach salad with gorgonzola cheese and a little thin sliced red onion. Yum.

This works with all vinegars but some are obviously much more pungent than others. I use what’s on hand and adjust the sugar and Dijon to my liking. White wine vinegar makes a tarter one, raspberry vinegar makes delicious sweet dressing. I try to remove the garlic before storing because it can get quite strong.

Balsamic vinegar is brilliant if you marinade some strawberries in it. Then serve with some greek yoghurt or single cream.

cc2003btw said:
Balsamic vinegar is brilliant if you marinade some strawberries in it. Then serve with some greek yoghurt or single cream.

Strawberries with a good balsamic vinegar is indeed a rare treat, however

Caution: it needs to be a top notch quality balsamic vinegar straight from Modena, Italy, which is as thick as honey.
Regular generic balsamic vinegar will just ruin the strawberries!!

Cider vinegar is also good to use as a deglazing liquid. It can be the base of a nice sauce for pork chops, scallops, salmon, chicken, or duck, along with white wine, stock, and various aromatics and herbs.

Slice up some really ripe heirloom tomatoes with fresh buffalo mozzarella. Add some crushed fresh basil leaves, cracked black pepper and a pinch of salt. Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar and enjoy! :)

I mix some olive oil with balsamic vinegar and use it for a bread dip.

Baked Tofu from fatfree.com

Slice tofu into about half inch slices. Place on nonstick baking tray
so they are pretty crowded. Then pour over them the yummy soy sauce
marinade. No need to pre-marinate. Bake for about 1/2 hour at 400
degrees F. Its crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside and
delicious.

Yummy soy sauce marinade(adapted from a tofu box recipe):

6 Tbs soy sauce
2 tsp honey
2 tsp balsamic vinegar (important that its balsamic - no substitute!)
1 1/2 Tbs grated fresh ginger (yes really this much)
1 tsp minced garlic

Bourbon Chicken from Recipezaar.com

2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons catsup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce

1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
2. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
3. Remove Chicken.
4. Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium Heat until well mixed and dissolved.
5. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Serve over hot rice and ENJOY.

My pantry has so many vinegars it is funny. Rice. Balsamic (2 qualities -- one for salads & cooking, one more expesive one we put out with cheese and fruit for desert). A German herbal one. White wine. Cider. Malt. In the laundry room is a jug of distilled white vinegar that I sometimes tipple into certain dishes that NEED that strong flavor. Most of the time they go into salads (we eat some kind of salad daily), but also into marinades, sauces, stews ..... every once in awhile you'll taste a dish and it needs a little something. It sounds stupid, but to me I feel it in my jaw, that it needs something, well, piquant. A little vinegar does it. Cider vinegar is especially good in dressings for fruit salads.

Back
Top Bottom