"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
love it--would even wear it as a fragrance....
This reminds me of something I read about women in the Renaissance era who rubbed basil on their bosom for an aphrodisiac...so I tried it lol...let me just say that green bosoms are not attractive

Back to cilantro...I used to hate it and now it's growing on me (no, not on my bosom lol). I really like it in guacamole and fish tacos but not really anything else.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

While I don't care for it raw (soapy taste), it's OK in a cooked dish.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Hate the leaves but love the seeds.
+1

I wonder if I would like the roots. I hear that those can be used in cooking too.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
This reminds me of something I read about women in the Renaissance era who rubbed basil on their bosom for an aphrodisiac...so I tried it lol...let me just say that green bosoms are not attractive

Back to cilantro...I used to hate it and now it's growing on me (no, not on my bosom lol). I really like it in guacamole and fish tacos but not really anything else.
Tell that to Captain Kirk...

I love cilantro, Shrek hates it.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I am not sure about the genetic thing. I love cilantro. On the other hand, my mother absolutely hated it even though she said she really wished she could like it for the health benefits it is supposed to have. As far as I know, my dad never tried any. He died in '95. My uncle, (my mother's brother) loves it.
I suppose there could be a genetic disposition to disliking or liking something but taste is so subjective anyway, I have a hard time getting my old head around such an explanation. Some folks just don't like some things that other folks do. I never needed any other explanation than that.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
Master Chef

I am firmly in the "hater" group. Our local Mexican place sprinkles it on their salsa. I can't stand it. I ask them to leave it off. I definitely experience the soapy taste and it will take a while to rid my mouth of it.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I am not sure about the genetic thing. I love cilantro. On the other hand, my mother absolutely hated it even though she said she really wished she could like it for the health benefits it is supposed to have. As far as I know, my dad never tried any. He died in '95. My uncle, (my mother's brother) loves it.
I suppose there could be a genetic disposition to disliking or liking something but taste is so subjective anyway, I have a hard time getting my old head around such an explanation. Some folks just 't like some things that other folks do. I never needed any other explanation than that.

Hoot, I think it goes beyond personal preferences. Some folks dislike it because it has a distinct soapy taste. Those who like it don't detect the soapy taste. I'd bet they wouldn't like it if it tasted soapy to them.

This article makes sense to me as it explains that soapy/not soapy difference. This isn't the first time this theory has been discussed.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Those who like it don't detect the soapy taste....
I suppose that's possible...kind of like how birds can eat copious amounts of cayenne pepper all over their birdseed but the squirrels won't touch it and have a fit if they try.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post

Geeze, I'm so glad you're back MA........it's been too long since I've snorted my ice tea.........

I've lived with Mexican food all my life and my parents cooked Mexican food but I know they never used cilantro, nor did they carry it in our grocery store. Growing up, I wondered why I liked restaurant Mexican food so much more than what we made at home and later I discovered that cilantro was the missing ingredient. I love the stuff, but my parents must have hated it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I used to hate cilantro, now I love it.

As far as tasting like soap, raspberries are like that for me. I like things like raspberry jam (except for the seeds), but as a rule, I don't like them. Raspberry candies are especially horrible. You might as well just eat a bar of soap.