"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Tell that to Captain Kirk...

I love cilantro, Shrek hates it.
Don't forget Capt. Archer. Especially when one of them was Padma Lakshmi!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I love sprouts and hate guiness . How anyone could drink a pint of the stuff is beyond me .
I was recalling the conclusion without the explanation from last semester so I did some more reading and it all became clear again. There's a gene called TAS2R38 located on Chromosome 7 that detects bitterness in foods. There's a bitter-tasting compound called PTC that some people just can't taste, and others can due to a deficiency of TAS2R38. It's in beer, wine, olives, brassica, and members of the cabbage family (brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, etc.) to name a few. *shrug* maybe you dislike Guinness for other reasons besides PTC aversion.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Don't forget Capt. Archer. Especially when one of them was Padma Lakshmi!
Did she play someone green? Wasn't it Trip who had the hots for her?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I really dislike cilantro but I don't think I have ever noticed a soapy flavor. I can tolerate a very small amount in salsa if I am out at a restaurant but I would prefer it to be completely gone!

Since they were brought up...I am not too fond of bananas either but I think it is more of a texture thing (a degree of ripeness that I hate them or can tolerate them) I hate Guiness beer (that is the dark thick one, right?) blech
Old 09-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I love sprouts and hate guiness . How anyone could drink a pint of the stuff is beyond me .
Well so much for the theory that the stuff tastes good in the UK, but not on this side of the pond, because it doesn't travel well.

Can't stand the stuff. Oh, and I do like Brussels sprouts
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #36
Master Chef

I don't think taste is genetic at all, a case of nurture vs nature. Some people who were raised to dislike some flavors will always hate them, on the other hand others will love them. Some who were raised to eat only 5 things their entire lives won't venture out there, others will.

Then there is my bizarre-o experience of my sense of smell going haywire in late menopause. It mostly came back, but suddenly I couldn't (and still can't) like cucumber and watermelon. They smell (and taste) exactly alike to me, and I just don't like them. These are foods I've loved all my life and lived for in the summer, and now I don't like them, not even the smell (if you'd asked me five years ago, I would have told you they don't have much of a smell or flavor). It actually angers me that I do not like these foods I loved and found so refreshing in the summer. Boo-hoo. I keep trying, but there's something there. Do they have a common chemical compound?

As for cilantro; I, too, learned to call the leaves and stems (and some cultures use the roots as well) cilantro, the seeds coriander (i.e., the herb is cilantro, the spice coriander), but, that said, I read a lot and the English books I've read (and cookbooks) refer to it all as coriander.

I'm in the camp who really, really disliked cilantro. In spite of eating a lot of Mexican food growing up, I don't remember having it as a kid. Where I remember is moving to Hawaii when I was in my late 20s and finding it in all the Asian foods and really not liking it at all. I wouldn't call it soapy.

BUT .... I not only got used to it, now certain things, like a fresh tomato salsa (pico de gallo type stuff), and especially Southeast Asian fresh dishes just don't taste right without that cilantro edge.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #37
Wine Guy

Watermelons and cucumbers are in the same family (cucurbitaceae), so it's entirely possible they have chemical compounds in common.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I don't think taste is genetic at all, a case of nurture vs nature. Some people who were raised to dislike some flavors will always hate them, on the other hand others will love them. Some who were raised to eat only 5 things their entire lives won't venture out there, others will.

Then there is my bizarre-o experience of my sense of smell going haywire in late menopause. It mostly came back, but suddenly I couldn't (and still can't) like cucumber and watermelon. They smell (and taste) exactly alike to me, and I just don't like them. These are foods I've loved all my life and lived for in the summer, and now I don't like them, not even the smell (if you'd asked me five years ago, I would have told you they don't have much of a smell or flavor). It actually angers me that I do not like these foods I loved and found so refreshing in the summer. Boo-hoo. I keep trying, but there's something there. Do they have a common chemical compound?

As for cilantro; I, too, learned to call the leaves and stems (and some cultures use the roots as well) cilantro, the seeds coriander (i.e., the herb is cilantro, the spice coriander), but, that said, I read a lot and the English books I've read (and cookbooks) refer to it all as coriander.

I'm in the camp who really, really disliked cilantro. In spite of eating a lot of Mexican food growing up, I don't remember having it as a kid. Where I remember is moving to Hawaii when I was in my late 20s and finding it in all the Asian foods and really not liking it at all. I wouldn't call it soapy.

BUT .... I not only got used to it, now certain things, like a fresh tomato salsa (pico de gallo type stuff), and especially Southeast Asian fresh dishes just don't taste right without that cilantro edge.
Tastes change as we age. For some of us, we know we're really getting old when a well marbled charcoal broiled piece of beef does not taste good anymore. I'm a heavy smoker, but still can detect the flavor of coriander in some pastramis and the ingredients in many other foods. My most recent achievement was to determine that cinnamon is one of the ingredients in the mustard that I like .
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I don't think taste is genetic at all, a case of nurture vs nature. Some people who were raised to dislike some flavors will always hate them, on the other hand others will love them. Some who were raised to eat only 5 things their entire lives won't venture out there, others will. ...
I agree that to some extent it's nurture. But, having the receptors for the unpleasant flavours in cilantro is not nurture. You have them or you don't. There is a gene that relates to those receptors.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I agree that to some extent it's nurture. But, having the receptors for the unpleasant flavours in cilantro is not nurture. You have them or you don't. There is a gene that relates to those receptors.
Exactly.