Cilantro-Love It or Hate It, There's a Reason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think taste is genetic at all, a case of nurture vs nature. Some people who were raised to dislike some flavors will always hate them, on the other hand others will love them. Some who were raised to eat only 5 things their entire lives won't venture out there, others will.

Have to politely disagree on this point. I was raised by vegetable eating parents, my sisters and brother all like the same veggies as my parents. I do not like the same veggies. Especially how some were overcooked, i.e. Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage. At this point I can tolerate Broccoli and Cabbage...raw or very lightly steamed.

I am mostly meat and starchy veg/pasta/rice oriented and I was not raised that way. And, I am the one that weighs the least...

Have to politely disagree on this point. I was raised by vegetable eating parents, my sisters and brother all like the same veggies as my parents. I do not like the same veggies. Especially how some were overcooked, i.e. Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage. At this point I can tolerate Broccoli and Cabbage...raw or very lightly steamed.

I am mostly meat and starchy veg/pasta/rice oriented and I was not raised that way. And, I am the one that weighs the least...
You must'a spent some time in Skaneateles.

Last edited:
You may be skinnier than me, but I'm 6"1' and weigh close to 300 lb ( my scale does not go over 300 lb). I've been thinking of spending some time in Skineatales

That's why I said I weigh the least, I am decidedly overweight, but not as overweight as my veggie loving siblings.

I love cilantro, as does my wife. Chips and salsa with no cilantro in the salsa is bland and boring. I'll eat fresh cilantro on just about anything.

My brother hates it - same mom and dad so go figure.

I thought the info on beets were interesting, it was something I wasn't aware of!
I knew that it did that colour thing to some people. I didn't realize it could be a sign of anemia. Good to know.

I'm trying to remember if that happened when I had anemia back in 1970. I was living in Denmark and if you are eating a regular Danish diet, you are eating beets quite regularly.

My iron level usually comes back on the high end of normal (it always has). And I know when I've eaten beets, 14%. I also have the asparagus gene and the ability to smell that specific smell in cilantro. Interesting to know. I was trying to remember if I had metallic mouth before I developed my pine nut allergy. I've often wondered if it was because of the country of origin that I reacted...don't dare try pine nuts to find out if I'm still allergic or not.

My iron level usually comes back on the high end of normal (it always has). And I know when I've eaten beets, 14%. I also have the asparagus gene and the ability to smell that specific smell in cilantro. Interesting to know. I was trying to remember if I had metallic mouth before I developed my pine nut allergy. I've often wondered if it was because of the country of origin that I reacted...don't dare try pine nuts to find out if I'm still allergic or not.

The only pine nuts I can stand are the ones Dad gets in Arizona.

Back
Top Bottom