"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Cilantro-Love It or Hate It, There's a Reason

Just read this article that gives some insight into the love it or hate it camps for cilantro. As a hater, I'm in good company. Julia hated it too.

Soapy taste of coriander linked to genetic variants : Nature News & Comment

Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I have a problem with one of the first statements in the article, which leads me to believe the author knows not of what he speaks: The herb is not called cilantro in North America and coriander in Britian. Cilantro is the leaves and stems of the plant, while coriander is the seeds, and they have two totally different smells and flavours.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Wine Guy

I'm in the "love it" camp myself. You could put a cilantro salad dressed with cilantro vinaigrette in front of me and I would devour it.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I beg to differ with one thing in that article which makes me doubt the author knows not of what he speaks: The herb is not called cilantro in North America and coriander in Britian. Cilantro is the leaves and stems of the plant, while coriander is the seeds, and they have two totally different smells and flavours.
I guarantee you that in Britain, as well as Australia, both the leaves and seeds are called coriander. In recipes you generally see it differentiated as "fresh coriander" vs "coriander seed".

Here are two recipes from Nigella Lawson. Note that one calls for coriander seed, while the other calls for fresh coriander:

BBC - Food - Recipes : Pantry paella

Nigella Lawson's Aromatic Christmas Ham: Recipe For Show-Stopping Festive Ham from Nigella Christmas Cookbook | Suite101.com
Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Executive Chef

love it--would even wear it as a fragrance....
Old 09-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Everymom

SLOB, reporters are just that, REPORTERS. They don't need to know everything about the subject in order to write an article about it. My husband is a reporter, and he's a pretty amazing guy, but to expect him to be expert on everything he covers is a pretty huge deal. Now if this guy were being published in some herb bible and was touted as an expert in the field...different story.

The point of the article is not whether cilantro or coriander is the correct term, its about the genetic link to disliking or liking it. I don't see an indifferent camp here at all. I don't really care one way or another about it. I generally find that people who DO like it use WAY too much of it. I could do a bit of it, but find it quite overpowering. Ooooo wait, maybe that makes me a hater?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Hate the leaves but love the seeds.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Head Chef

Interesting article. I printed it out to take to the lady who runs the local hydroponic organic farm. Last week she was offering plain samples of a Japanese leafy green called Shingiku for tasting. I couldn't identify the flavor; then she suggested, "celery?" That was it. But I was embarrassed to admit that it also had a slightly soapy taste. I haven't experienced cilantro tasting soapy and didn't really know what people were talking about, but I know now. Can't say I actually like cilantro, but don't actively dislike it, either. It's enlightening to know that the soapiness may be in me rather than the plant.

I bought a small baggie* of the shingiku and used it in a stir-fry; it wasn't soapy (to me) at all after cooking or perhaps it was a matter of being in combination with other greens.

*I'm doing my darnedest to support her and buy whatever my budget allows. She has a lot of okra right now, but I draw the line at okra.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I guarantee you that in Britain, as well as Australia, both the leaves and seeds are called coriander. In recipes you generally see it differentiated as "fresh coriander" vs "coriander seed".

Here are two recipes from Nigella Lawson. Note that one calls for coriander seed, while the other calls for fresh coriander:

BBC - Food - Recipes : Pantry paella

Nigella Lawson's Aromatic Christmas Ham: Recipe For Show-Stopping Festive Ham from Nigella Christmas Cookbook | Suite101.com

+1
Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Head Chef

Spot on Steve , fresh coriander and coriander seeds here in the UK. Love both .