Clean enough to eat off of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without a doubt.

My misshap happend when my hubbie had been smokeing a pork shoulder all day.When it was finnaly done and he was bringing it in the house he got caught on the door and dropped it.I felt so bad for him,I thought the world was ending or mabey something even more serious.I rinsed it off, threw it in the oven and told him to quit being such a baby.That was sixteen years ago and we are both still alive and he hasen't dropped one since.

Many times. If I threw away every mistake made, I'd just commit suicide or quit cooking and/or house cleaning entirely.

The best was when I was to provide baked beans for a military unit picnic. Husband was already there, we were sponsoring it. It was one of those huge aluminum foil baking dishes. I thought I had it secured, but somehow when I made a turn, the beans sloshed over. Now you have to understand that on military installations, the speed limit is very low (I think it was 35) and I never sped, so obviously I didn't get the beans secured enough.

Husband came out to help me remove the beans. There was carpet on the floor that the beans spilled on to. We used spoons and scraped up as much as we could. We didn't know about Julia Child's beliefs then (in other words, what happens in the kitchen stays in the kitchen, never apologize), but we served it up. No one got sick, it really didn't occur to us that someone might.

However, the smell of beans in the car (an old Mustang hatch-back) kept on for ages. I finally read somewhere that coffee beans could absorb a lot, and spread them on the carpet and left them there for a month, then vacuumed them up.

The car forever after smelled like coffee, but most people consider that a pleasant smell, as opposed to rancid sauce of beans!

never have spilled anything of much size. the occasional cookie or so, slides off the rack. i just blow it off and keep going. since i eat them most of the time, no harm no foul as far as i am concerned.

My misshap happend when my hubbie had been smokeing a pork shoulder all day.When it was finnaly done and he was bringing it in the house he got caught on the door and dropped it.

Almost the same thing happened to me a few years ago. I had just finished smoking a beef brisket and was trying to juggle too many things with too few hands, and the brisket flopped out of the pan it was in onto our dining room carpet. I carried it into the kitchen and lightly rinsed it off, picking out any foreign particles I coulld see by hand. I then put it back on the grill for a while to sterilize any creepy crawlies that might have gotten onto it. And then I had to go clean the stain out of the carpet. Unfun. But the brisket was good!

never have spilled anything of much size. the occasional cookie or so, slides off the rack. i just blow it off and keep going. since i eat them most of the time, no harm no foul as far as i am concerned.

You do make me smile at times...

Thank-you for being you.

lol, babe. you just reminded me of my dad's old nickname for moustaches. he calls them cookie dusters. :D

Once when my mom made a chocolate meringue pie, she was getting ready to carry the pie into the dining room. As she turned toward the sink, the whole pie slipped out of the pie pan, into the dish water in the sink. Quick as a wink, she grabbed the pie out of the dish water, rinsed the meringue off, and scraped the pudding filling into dessert bowls. We didn't have pie that night, but the homemade pudding was great!

:)Barbara

Once when my mom made a chocolate meringue pie, she was getting ready to carry the pie into the dining room. As she turned toward the sink, the whole pie slipped out of the pie pan, into the dish water in the sink. Quick as a wink, she grabbed the pie out of the dish water, rinsed the meringue off, and scraped the pudding filling into dessert bowls. We didn't have pie that night, but the homemade pudding was great!

Since you shared that, I can no less share my secret mess.

I made a 16in pizza in my oven. Since my stone was only a 12in stone, I made this pizza on the rack only.

When it was pretty much done, I went to take it out. It completely dribbled onto the bottom heating coil when I tilted it. Yoou can only guess how much of a mess, and how long I took in cleaning it up I had to deal with.

I have only shared this here. I was too embarrassed to share it anywhere else.

Thanks Barb for letting me share this...

Since you shared that, I can no less share my secret mess.

I made a 16in pizza in my oven. Since my stone was only a 12in stone, I made this pizza on the rack only.

When it was pretty much done, I went to take it out. It completely dribbled onto the bottom heating coil when I tilted it. Yoou can only guess how much of a mess, and how long I took in cleaning it up I had to deal with.

I have only shared this here. I was too embarrassed to share it anywhere else.

Thanks Barb for letting me share this...
I'm sure we have all done something like that! Did you read my post about dumping pumpkin seeds all over the oven a few weeks ago? :LOL:

I'm sure we have all done something like that! Did you read my post about dumping pumpkin seeds all over the oven a few weeks ago? :LOL:

Not yet since I've been away for too long a time. But you can bet I will look for it. You are easily one of the peeps on DC I always looked forward to reading. You always have something interesting to say.

Whether or not to clean off a dropped food item is seldom an issue in my kitchen. I have 3 miniature pinschers who closely shadow my heels every time I am involved in any type of food handling. They are well aware of my poor eye-hand co-ordination and take every opportunity make it work in their favor. I have to be careful not to turn around quickly or might run into one of those upturned faces. Any thing that I may dribble or drop usually never makes it all the way to the floor. The lucky recipient will jump up and catch it in mid-air, much to the disgust of the other two, which will take their eyes off of my hands only long enough to glare at each other and jockey for a better position. If I happen to drop something substantial, say a piece of meat the size of a pork chop or chicken leg the resulting brawl will become a furry dust ball that migrates around the kitchen floor until the piece is totally consumed, at which time I must risk my fingers to retrieve the bone as I don't allow them to have those. Cooked bones can be dangerous to dogs. Dangerous to me, too, when I try to pry them loose from those vise like jaws, but I love my dogs, so no sacrifice is too great. I only have one rule. If I happen to dribble beans, then the offending (lucky) dog or dogs are banished from my lap for at least 24 hours.

Don't forget the fact that bones are good seasoning for beans. After they are washed off, of course.:ROFLMAO:

It depends on how damaged and dirty it gets and who I will be serving it to.

I once had to wrestle the dog for the roast beef :LOL: My rule is that it is fair game when it hits the floor, but not the guaranteed property of the critters.

I remember once our little Pekinese-???? mix of a feisty dog tried to steal a roast
from the table... We shaved off the dog munched part and ate the rest.

Back
Top Bottom