"Cleanest" type of oil for sautéing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjlife

Assistant Cook
Hello peeps,

I've always wanted to learn cooking but my mom has been a fierce opposing force as she feels that certain techniques like sautéing will smoke up and "dirty" the kitchen.

Are all oils equally "dirty" or are there better oils? I'm looking at using coconut oil and butter, are these two better options? Thank you.

If there's smoke there's WAY too much heat being used.
If you want to prevent trillions of tiny grease molecules floating around the kitchen simply gently lay a paper towel on top of what you're sauteeing. It will absorb 999999.99999% of the molecules but will not interfere with the sauteeing process.
Simply discard the now oily paper towel.
Works like a damn.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking pjlife.

Does your mother cook? What techniques does she use to keep from dirtying her kitchen?

Hello,

Yes I was referring to the tiny grease molecules. Sorry I don't exactly get the part about laying the paper towel on top of whatever I'm sautéing. Could you please provide a diagram?

My mom doesn't cook nowadays. I'm still interested in cooking though, so I'm finding a way to cook with minimum grease.

Thanks.

I'm sorry your mom is discouraging your cooking. What are the two of you eating if she no longer cooks? She's likely just concerned that you won't leave the kitchen as clean as she left it. Promise to do that.
If you have a good electric vent over the stove that draws to the outside, there shouldn't be a problem provided you use a splatter screen like Andy suggested, and you clean the stove after you use it.
Good luck, and let us know as we like to encourage cooking for young people especially. It's a necessary lesson for life.

"Cleanest" type of oil for sautéing?

I think what Puffin was describing was to simply lay a paper towel over your pan as it cooks to act as a screen guard to prevent spatters, like the one Andy suggested. Don't let it come in contact with the burner, for obvious reasons!

I have the old fashioned metal screen guard kind, and it works too.

As far as oils go, any oil when heated hot will spatter. Coconut, peanut, avocado, and canola oils have pretty high smoke points, which means you can heat them hotter than say, butter or olive oil.

Last edited:
Splattering occurs when you put food into the hot oil. At that point, it doesn't matter what kind of oil it is as long as you don't reach the smoke point. Corn oil is a reasonably priced, high smoke point oil you can use for general frying. As others have said, there are other oils that will work as well. I'm not sure what oils are generally availble in Singapore. Peanut and soy bean oil are also good choices.

I use peanut oil at a low to low medium heat at the bottom of a Dutch oven. The high sides help tp confine many splatters, and the heavy cast iron spreads the heat evenly, avoiding the surging of heat to keep it hot.

Back
Top Bottom