Cliantro Question -How does it taste to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really. The slip of paper contained a chemical that tastes horrible to about 15 percent of humans for some genetic reason that I can't recall. Three kids in the class had a negative reaction and to the rest of us, it just tasted like paper.

That sounds very similar to super tasters. Only a small percentage of people are super tasters. I think they have a much higher concentration of taste buds on their tongue. I know one of the tests consists of a piece of paper that is very bitter to super tasters, but didn't taste like anything to non super tasters.

Ah! That sounds exactly like what happened in that science class experiment. That was about 18 years ago so I forgot about the details! Good call, GB! Interesting...

I'm on the side of folk who say don't bother to substitute if you don't like a strongly flavored ingredient. Or if you do sub, make up another name for the dish. On the other hand, guess I'm lying, because when I've lived places Italian basil wouldn't grow I've found Asian to work pretty well in tomato sauce, and it does have a rather distinctively mint flavor when tasted alone!

I saw a Galloping Gourmet episode (one of his more recent things, not the old ones) where he talked about super tasters, and have concluded that those of us who love most foods are NOT super tasters. I know folk who act like their entire life was ruined if the food is hotter than they anticipated, their entire meal ruined if the salt wasn't the 'right" type, etc. In some cases, when I know the people well enough, I know that they just hate the concept of taking joy in something, and want to make sure you don't, either. But I pity people who can taste such minute differences and microscopic amounts ("my recipe called for 1/4 tsp and I can tell s/he put in 1/3) in food ruin a meal for them, and I know that is the case for a lot of people. Or freinds who will only find one restaurant's or one person's style acceptable (people who would come to Hawaii, for example, and hate all the Chinese and Japanese food because it didn't taste like it did "Back Home"!).

I also feel for people who never "grow into" different tastes, who do not believe in "acquired tastes". There are plenty of things I hated as a child and love now, and I believe it's improved my life overall AND, what is sometimes a lot more important, allowed me to sit down to table with people from differing cultures and countries and thoroughly enjoy the experience.

I'm not a fan of cilantro. I don't mind it if it doesn't overpower the dish - but I hate when it becomes the predominent flavor. That might be why some people don't like it .. it gets overdone. I love oregano - but it would ruin a dish if someone threw in an entire bunch.

buckytom - That place on the back of the tricep hurts like the dickens!!! lol

Make a mojito too with that mint!!!!!

I agreee on the soap sud....may lack the enzimes to properly appreciate the taste

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom