"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 05-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #41
Executive Chef
Not really. The slip of paper contained a chemical that tastes horrible to about 15 percent of humans for some genetic reason that I can't recall. Three kids in the class had a negative reaction and to the rest of us, it just tasted like paper.

DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:36 PM   #42
Chief Eating Officer
That sounds very similar to super tasters. Only a small percentage of people are super tasters. I think they have a much higher concentration of taste buds on their tongue. I know one of the tests consists of a piece of paper that is very bitter to super tasters, but didn't taste like anything to non super tasters.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #43
Executive Chef
Ah! That sounds exactly like what happened in that science class experiment. That was about 18 years ago so I forgot about the details! Good call, GB! Interesting...
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #44
Master Chef
I'm on the side of folk who say don't bother to substitute if you don't like a strongly flavored ingredient. Or if you do sub, make up another name for the dish. On the other hand, guess I'm lying, because when I've lived places Italian basil wouldn't grow I've found Asian to work pretty well in tomato sauce, and it does have a rather distinctively mint flavor when tasted alone!

I saw a Galloping Gourmet episode (one of his more recent things, not the old ones) where he talked about super tasters, and have concluded that those of us who love most foods are NOT super tasters. I know folk who act like their entire life was ruined if the food is hotter than they anticipated, their entire meal ruined if the salt wasn't the 'right" type, etc. In some cases, when I know the people well enough, I know that they just hate the concept of taking joy in something, and want to make sure you don't, either. But I pity people who can taste such minute differences and microscopic amounts ("my recipe called for 1/4 tsp and I can tell s/he put in 1/3) in food ruin a meal for them, and I know that is the case for a lot of people. Or freinds who will only find one restaurant's or one person's style acceptable (people who would come to Hawaii, for example, and hate all the Chinese and Japanese food because it didn't taste like it did "Back Home"!).

I also feel for people who never "grow into" different tastes, who do not believe in "acquired tastes". There are plenty of things I hated as a child and love now, and I believe it's improved my life overall AND, what is sometimes a lot more important, allowed me to sit down to table with people from differing cultures and countries and thoroughly enjoy the experience.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:40 AM   #45
Master Chef
I'm not a fan of cilantro. I don't mind it if it doesn't overpower the dish - but I hate when it becomes the predominent flavor. That might be why some people don't like it .. it gets overdone. I love oregano - but it would ruin a dish if someone threw in an entire bunch.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
buckytom - That place on the back of the tricep hurts like the dickens!!! lol

Make a mojito too with that mint!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:59 PM   #47
Assistant Cook
I agreee on the soap sud....may lack the enzimes to properly appreciate the taste

SPDinPUL is offline   Reply With Quote