"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 05-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Cliantro Question -How does it taste to you?

Hey Guy's

I have some friends who tell me that Cliantro has a soapy taste, do any of you sense the soapy taste? Just curious

Run_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
Hi Run_Out. I think you are going to find the group pretty split on this issue. It seems that people either love cilantro or they hate it because they find it tastes like soap. Personally I think there is some biological or genetic reason for this, but I have no proof.

I am in the "I love cilantro" group. I do not taste soap at all. Cilantro is probably my absolute favorite herb. I feel bad for the people who can't eat it.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Cook
Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
I've never sensed that from good cilantro before. To me, fresh cilantro is an essential ingredient to making salsa.

Part of the problem with talking food is that we all have a unique set of tastebuds which react differently to different foods. To that end, it could very well be that cilantro does taste a little soap-like to your friends. It just may be the way they're wired.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Executive Chef
I've never noticed a soapy taste and I use a LOT of coriander in dishes!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Master Chef
My friends who hate it either say it tastes like soap or metal.

Supposedly if you are allergic to it (and some people are) it tastes like metal.

I definelty don't think it tastes soapy. But it does have an distinct flavor.

I love it.

Try it and see what YOU think!
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
ishbel, in scottish and other european cookbooks do the recipes specify whether the coriander is seed or leaf? they taste similar, but aren't really interchangeable in most dishes.
i wonder if the same people who dislike leafy coriander, or cilantro, are affected the same way with coriander seed?
i have heard of the soapy or metallic thing. luckily, i do not find the taste odd. i love cilantro and coriander seed in many dishes.
i replace half of the parsley in my chicken soup with cilantro, just for a nice little change of pace.
and i love a bunch of freshly washed whole cilantro on top of grilled baby squid, topped with sweet chilli sauce.
another fave is chopped peanuts, garlic, ginger, cilantro, and hot pepper flakes, mixed into angel hair pasta with garlic sesame oil.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
I'm one for whom cilantro tastes like soap. Coriander seed is not a problem for me though.

It doesn't seem to be a problem in salsa. I eat that by the ton. However, I leave it out of other recipes.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Executive Chef
I love cilantro! It's hard to describe it's flavor, but I would say it tastes a bit like lemon/lime.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Cilantro tastes fine to me, as long as it doesn't overpower the other ingredients in the dish. For those who don't like it, substitute Italian Flat-Leaf Parsley for a more mild flavor.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
Master Chef
I'm in the later side.......I don't care for the flavor. I can't describe what it taste like......I've tried it a few times and each time I was turned off by the flavor is all I can remember. I guess if you don't like it then you can substitute italian parsley.....at least thats what I've heard.

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote