Coconut oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
DH gave me a jar of coconut oil for Christmas. A friend has suggested using it for sauteeing scallops, but we don't have those all that often. ISO ideas for using it. TIA.

I've never used if for cooking but it makes a great conditioning mask for hair. Just melt it and massage into your hair and leave in for 30 mins. Wash with shampoo and rinse well with warm water. Makes your hair soft as a baby's bottom!

Last edited:
We buy three gallon pails of c. oil at a time. We use it for literally everything that calls for any type of fat. It's tasteless and stands high heat. Of course when a recipe calls for the taste of butter we use that.

I put a teaspoon in my morning oatmeal. If it is extra virgin, it has a light coconut taste, more refined and that flavor has been removed. Most things can be lightly fried in it, like eggs, sauteed veggies, etc. Use the same as you would a vegetable oil. It's smoke point is 350°F, the same as butter.

I put a teaspoon in my morning oatmeal. If it is extra virgin, it has a light coconut taste, more refined and that flavor has been removed. Most things can be lightly fried in it, like eggs, sauteed veggies, etc. Use the same as you would a vegetable oil. It's smoke point is 350°F, the same as butter.
We use 'refined' c oil. Smoke point is 450 F.

I use it instead of butter on steamed veggies, grits, oatmeal, rice. But, I have to say my favorite way to use it is melted on popcorn instead of butter (about 1 minute in the microwave) with my friend's homemade curry powder.

I use it most often to brown chicken pieces prior to braising. Add a nice sweet-nutty flavor to the dish.

We use the extra virgin stuff for frying lots of things (Nutiva brand). It has a subtle coconut flavor that we like. Try adding some to your coffee.

It's good for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom